Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tuesday Night TV

2 hours of “Dead Like Me” on Sci-Fi. Love this show’s dark humor! Too bad it was cancelled after its second season. Bummer.

“Romancing the Stone” as the channel surfing alternative. Love me some “R the S”, especially the “now that’s a campfire” part.

Rockstar – Eheh [accompanied with shrug of shoulders]

The show’s filler consisted of Dilana-bashing and songwriting “camp” with Gilby. Dilana was “not imaginative enough”, Lukas came unprepared, and Toby was “on top of his game”.

Singers had to do a cover song and an original song.

Dilana – sang a Who song and I usually don’t like rearrangements, but I thought she did good. I liked the melodic beginning and getting the back-up band’s guitarist involved. Her original was so-so. Dave liked her cover song arrangement, Tommy liked her original, Gilby reiterated she needs to use more imagination coz “she’s too literal”, and Jason kudo-ed her “strong will”.

Magni – Good thing “Romancing the Stone” was on. I channel surfed throughout both his cover and original. Ho Hum to the max. Dave thought the cover was “killer and the most aggressive they heard his voice be”. Tommy thought his 2 perfs were the same to which Magni replied “both songs were sung by me”. Yeah, well, who cares?

Storm – was joined by Dave on guitar while she sang a David Bowie song. I thought her original was pretty good. It was different, kinda catchy, and suited to her voice. There was too much repetition at the end tho. Dave said “he felt like he was playing with a great lead singer and her original was his favorite”. Tommy said it was “triple X and the track is rrrrrrvvvhhhmmm – no words for it” but I’m thinking he was trying to describe the hard-on factor. Gilby seconded the “rrrrrvvvvvhhhmmm” comment.

An aside: What is up with these cover song choices in general? Who’s actually picking these for the singers to choose from? Ugh.

Lukas – mumbled his entire way thru a stripped down version of “Livin’ On a Prayer”. Again with the accent. I was embarrassed for him during his original. Thank goodness for “Romancing the Stone”. I called my mom at this point and she said she thought Lukas was a choirboy with a beautiful voice when he’s not trying to be “a rocker” and all gravelly. Well, I haven’t heard the beauty of his voice, but Lukas needs a newsflash. Freddy Mercury had a kick-ass melodic voice and he was great when he belted it out. And Mom told me Lukas is Canadian. That’s where the accent comes from.

Toby – I channel surfed thru his cover song. I have to give credit where credit is due. I don’t like Toby or his voice, but his original was the best of the bunch. It was polished, finished, catchy, and he had audience participation. So there, I said it, now I’m done with the Toby. Dave and Band were unanimous with praise and his original song’s memorableness. Tommy grabbed his ass.

At end of show, order of highest to lowest votes:
1st Toby
2nd Lukas
3rd Magni
4th Storm
5th Dilana

No comments: