Monday, September 11, 2006

Mini-Mystery Monday


Hey all, I love reading mysteries but I am not a very good detective – I tend to get distracted and can’t keep what I think are the clues straight in my head. I have several books that have minute mysteries (sort of like remedial mysteries for folks like me) where all the clues are given to you in a “mystery shotglass”. The solutions are given on the next page or upside down. Some of them are frightfully easy and others aren’t so obvious. I thought I would share one each Monday for a while and give you the solution the next day. Please comment with your solutions. I look forward to all your sleuthy goodness. Note: please excuse the dated language, womanly slurs, other goobery wording, and constant name repetition; these are pre-PC (political correctness).

The Case of the Frightened Playboy
(page 49-50 in “Still More Two-Minute Mysteries” by Donald J. Sobal)

Answering an urgent telephone summons from the playboy, Jeff Lawry, Dr. Haledjian arrived at Lawry’s penthouse a minute before seven a.m.

A tall woman was waiting at the penthouse door.

In a moment, Haledjian and the tall woman were admitted by Lawry, who was clad in a bathrobe and green pajamas. He greeted Dr. Haledjian and stared suspiciously at the woman.

“I’m Clara Miley,” she said. “The agency sent me.”

“The new maid,” exclaimed Lawry, obviously relieved. “Your room is that one. The kitchen is in the rear. I was about to have something to eat. Do you mind fixing me something?”

The woman strode off obediently. Lawry led Haledjian into the study and carefully closed the door.

“I’ve lived in absolute terror,” confided the playboy, “since I saw those men rob the bank last week. Do you know what I’ve been doing? Sleeping days and sneaking out nights!”

“Suppose we talk with Inspector Winters at headquarters,” suggested Haledjian. “He’ll give you protection.”

“Not this morning,” said Lawry wearily. “I’ve been awake all night. I’m going to bed.”

Just then Clara Miley entered the study with a tray.

“I’ve fixed you a snack, sir,” she said.

“That looks just fine,” said Lawry, glancing at the glass of milk, ham sandwich, and layer cake. He picked up the milk.

“Don’t drink it!” shouted Haledjian, seizing the new maid.

WHAT ALARMED HALEDJIAN?

1 comment:

The Edward said...

She knew he was up all night, because she made him a dinner rather than a breakfast at 7:00 am. So, she had to have been casing him, therefore tied to the bank robbers and planned on poisoning him. (though, since he is a playboy, the agency could have told her of his late night habits, or that could be all he had in the frig, since he was asleep while most normal grocery stores were open)

I look forward to their answer! Thanks for the mystery.