Monday, October 02, 2006

Mini Mystery Monday Cop-Out

I'm swamped and cannot transcribe a mystery for your reading pleasure, although I have a mystery question to ask. I do not know the answer so I'm hoping someone out there knows it and can help me when I sing in the car.


The Eagles song "Hotel California" has a verse that I have been absolutely unable to figure out for years. Help me, please!!!


Towards the beginning of the song.... "Warm smell of [???????]/Rising up thru the air"


What is he singing?

4 comments:

The Edward said...

colitas

I cheated - I did a Google search for "Hotel California" and "lyrics." But it doesn't end there. The question then became: What is "colitas"?

Well, the Straight Dope has a whole lot to say about that. To summarize them: The Eagles tried to get "little buds" translated into Spanish, but they got the translation wrong, since "colitas" actually means "little tail". So, it sounds like they are singing about women (ie "a little tail"), but are actually singing about the little buds of the drugs they were smoking.

Maybe some secrets are best left unknown.

Samantha said...

Well, I keep thinking it should be "warm smell of cut grass" but the Colitas gets me all wrong every time. Thanks!

Madpuppy said...

Dang! You beat me to it.

I'd always heard it as "Warm smell of Lolitas", which isn't too far off from the "little tails" after all.

Samantha said...

Nice Madpuppy, nice. I just sang your version and it makes a sick sort of sense, but I don't think I will be singing your version in the car!