Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hallo-Venting

Ex-President Bill Clinton has zealously rousted sodas and other sweet drinks out of schools and now he’s targeting high fat and high calorie snacks. I guess his massive heart surgery and resulting weight loss have given him a bloated reality check and he wants to force that reality check on an obese America. Don’t get me wrong, I am one of the overweight population, but I have a problem with Clinton. A major problem. And it’s not that he’s goin’ all Dirty Harry on sweets in school. It’s his recommendation to start being role models during the season of Halloween. He said that instead of handing out candy and other traditional Halloween goodies; that fruit should be handed out.

FRUIT!?!?! FRUIT!?!?!

I hope you are all thinking what I’m thinking.

First off, candy is part and parcel of Halloween. Yes, moderation is key and makes your candy stash last that much longer.

Second, who in their right mind is going to let their children eat an unpackaged/unsealed item given to them by a stranger? My parents even threw the little boxes of raisins out. No one I know lets their kids eat the popcorn balls, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, etc that someone they don’t know made.

Third, who in their right mind doesn’t have visions of razor blades and poison dancing thru their heads?

FRUIT??!! Seriously??!!

Bill is an idiot and needs to get real. He can make all the suggestions he wants but he needs to leave the holidays strictly alone. They are times for enjoyment and indulgence (in moderation one hopes) not for denial, repression, and misery.

3 comments:

The Edward said...

I agree that Halloween is a time for candy and fun! And I also agree that Clinton and everyone else who has had a personal "wake up call" stop treating everyone else like kids and forcing other people to do what they now believe best for them. They had their fun, now let us have ours, so we can preach after the fact as well.

Though, as much as I hate to stand up for Clinton, the poisoned fruit for Halloween is a myth. I remember as a kind them showing us on TV xrays of apples with blades in them, but it appears those where to show what might have happened, but never did. The whole thing is an Urban Legend. Just newspeople pumping a story for ratings - telling everyone to throw away non-candy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoned_candy_scare

Samantha said...

I still wouldn't eat anything that was homemade or unpackaged. And that's not to say someone now, in our even more technologically criminal world, would take the op todo something evil to the fruit.

Anonymous said...

Where I am fruits are handed out. Tangerines, oranges, apples, nuts in shells, lots of autumny type eatery. They are eaten too. People are not so crazy here maybe. A lot of it ends on the streets because they are just too heavy for the kids to schlepp around.

We are careful though to hand out only wrapped sweets.

Maybe the kids should go trick or treating in the supermarkets like they do here too, the older ones, i.e.

My DD stopped when she was 12. I told her if she rang our door bell begging for treats...yes they do ring their own door bells...LOL, I'd let the dog out at her...LOL.

I love CLINTON!