Wednesday, October 18, 2006

In a Helpless Position

I'm a "helper" (one can read this as I'm a busy body too). I went into elementary education because I love the idea and actual process of teaching. I like imparting information and knowledge and watching kids/adults use what they have learned to move forward.

My job consists of helping people. Whether it is a child, a parent, a teacher, a therapist, an extended relative, a direct support provider, a doctor, a friend, or anyone else connected with my clients. They have a question – I have an answer or at least a direction to head to get the answer. They need a resource – I have lists, I have a network, I know where to point them. They need an alternative funding source, respite, in-home support, recreation options, transportation ideas, assistance being an advocate, facilitation of team members’ communication, etc. You name it, I can help.

But yesterday, I was the helpless one. I watched someone get some really bad news, get a shock, and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do but watch. No words to fix this, no ideas to help straighten the situation out, no blinding light to show everyone the truth of the matter, no fairy godmother to wave her magic wand and put everything back together again.

Just me watching this person fall apart in front of me and ask to be left alone.

Which I could do, letting them know I am available if they need me.

Helpless. Just helpless. I don’t like being on the other side.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

And that's what it is like to be a parent. Now you know. Love, Mom