Monday, August 14, 2006

My Guilty Food Pleasures

These are in no particular order. Usually the cravings come and I have no choice but to respond…

1) Ramen Noodles/Oodles of Noodles: Nothing brings a slew of college memories on like these noodles. But other than the mono-sodium-glutamate rush down memory lane, these taste so darn good and being super fast’n’easy to make, I tend to need a fix about every two months or so. My favorites are the Roasted Chicken, Chicken, Oriental, and Teriyaki. I tend to add things to them to “make them more nutritious” (as if!) like frozen veggies, pieces of real chicken, real bacon bits, and chives. Despite their “white trash/college” reputation, I still lovers the noodles!


2) Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches: Now I know I have most likely grossed out anyone taking the time to read this, but I seriously advocate for this sandwich. I ate these by the hundreds when I was a kid and every now and then, the combined crave/memory wave rushes over me and I have to pop some bread in the toaster while the bacon sizzles on the electric skillet. Once the bread is done, PB is spread on it while it is still warm for the melty factor. Bacon slices are added and I bite down into Heaven. Oooh!


3) Hush Puppies: When we were kids and lived in Florida, it was a major treat to go out to eat at Red Lobster. I do not eat sea food but I did eat the popcorn shrimp (mostly breading if you know what I mean) and the sublime Hush Puppies. Fried cornmeal and onion goodness all wrapped up in a perfectly crunchy outside. Red Lobster no longer makes them and I have to suppress my cravings for this super delectable item. But my friend J2 just gave me a Hush Puppy mix for my b’day. AllI have to do is add water/milk. She said she’s made them before and an electric skillet can be used instead of a fryer! I am going to be experimenting soon!


4) Deviled Eggs: I sooooo love this dish. Whenever I go to a potluck, you can find me in front of the deviled eggs just stuffing my mouth, one half after another. The contrast between the creamy goodness of the yolk mixture and the gelid-like egg white just gets me in a gustatory special place!


5) Crab Ragoons: As I mentioned above, I do not eat seafood, but the Chinese food restaurant that I went to with my parents every Friday a couple years ago, has the best ragoons. There is barely any crab, mostly cream cheese in a fried envelope. Pour on some duck sauce and the ginger/soy dip and I am one happy camper!


6) Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: You may be wondering why this is a guilty pleasure… All I can say is BUTTAH! One of the families I worked with, the father would make grilled cheese for us. First he would spread a little butter on the bread to get it started, and then when the cheese was starting to melt and it was time to flip, he would take the stick of butter and literally just paint it on the newly upped side. He would do the same to the other when it was time. These sandwiches were golden brown, very crispy, and incredibly decadent due to the extreme butter factor. I need a napkin to contain the drool!


7) Muddy Rafts: J2 and I go to a restaurant near her home and this is a dessert they make. I have yet to get through an entire one by myself. A Muddy Raft consists of a big fat brownie (no nuts, YEAH!) the size of the palm of your hand. A scoop of ice-cream as big as your fist. And hot fudge sauce is poured on the top and puddles are created (no skimping). After eating one of these (I usually contain my dinner to the small chicken salad sandwich), I need a nap when I get back home.


8) Pierogies: This is a home-made family dinner tradition. Everything from the dough to the filling is made from scratch. The cheese filling is my favorite with the potato as second place. Just thinking about these starts the major cravings. It is a process to make these, but I think the fact that it was a family effort made them taste so good – flavored with love, comfort, and security.

3 comments:

Joanne S said...

You saved the quilt trip till the end. I guess I'll have to start making them again on Christmas Eve--just for you!

And why not admit that you had the same lunch--peanut butter and bacon bits---from K-8. Never anything else.

Samantha said...

Yes, Mom and general public, I ate the same sandwich from K thru 6th grade. (7-8th grade is when I branched out to cheese sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, little soups, and other stuff). It was nothin' but PB and white bread for YEARS!! In a metal lunchbox with that special lunchbox'n'thermos smell.

Joanna Stein said...

I love peanut butter and brown sugar sandwiches.

And really, bacon is perfect with everything.