Monday, August 07, 2006

Descent

My friend J and I went with her daughter to see Descent. I roped her into going because I was intrigued with the previews despite her reading some “not so hot” reviews on it.

We got there early and chatted until her daughter arrived, then the previews started. A new movie is coming out with Jason Stratham. If you’ve not heard of him, check out the Transporter and Transporter2 movies. He is seriously one hot male specimen of humanity and he does ALL his own stunts!

So the movie begins and the gore starts pretty quickly with a very realistic car accident. As the movie progressed, we realized neither of us is EVER going spelunking EVER! These girls are in a cave that is not “official” and they have some unexpected company. Someone brought a child to the movie and the screams from this kid were simply amazing. While her screams added a certain dimension to the movie, her parent or older sibling should not have brought her. Any hoo, J and I agreed the movie followed the “Horror Movie Rules” by having a simple uncluttered storyline (normal people experience something strange and then have to figure out how to stay alive), the gore made sense with the storyline (read: lots of it but it was not gratuitous), white chick wanders off despite being told to stay with the group and bad things happen, and the actors were good. They weren’t cheesy or bad, meaning J and I never once were shocked out of our suspension of belief while watching this movie unfold by bad dialogue or acting. I thought this movie was definitely one of the better horror movies to have come out in a while.

I give it the “matinee go-ahead”! (if you don’t have to pay full price, it’s worth the money).

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

We went to see the Pirates and Depp. There was a scary part where the crows pecked out pirate eyes--they were alive. I held up my hand to cover the screen--like I do at home during CSI.