Monday, December 11, 2006

'Tis the Season for Traditions

I’m a girl who loves traditions despite a mother who is busy trying to throw me from the tradition train.

To me, having these special things happen at the same certain times each year makes me feel safe, comforted, and connected to my family and friends. All the changes, strife, negativity, and general yuck are held at bay during these times. These times reassure and reinforce that I am loved.

Now, I KNOW my family and friends love me, but it’s good to hear it and see it sometimes and what more perfect time then traditionally?

Some traditions: Valentine’s Day cards, Easter baskets, Easter ham, birthday cake, St. Patrick’s Day wearing of the green and Shamrock Shakes from McDonald’s, Halloween costumes, trick or treating goodie bags, light-up pumpkins, Thanksgiving dinner with parents, going to see my G-pa in May, Sunday antiquing and then brunch at the Freeport Café, making holiday candy for my friends while listening to one carol after another, making Christmas cookies with my family, getting and decorating a Christmas tree, making and eating Pierogis, Christmas Day burritos, watching the RankinBass holiday animated specials, taking the tree down after New Year’s, and even the yearly medical checkups.

I miss waking up to chockfull Easter baskets and Toothfairy visits.

I miss choosing my Valentine’s Day cards, writing my friends’ names on them, and handing them out as well as making the Valentine mailboxes in school.

I miss scooping out pumpkin guts, cutting faces, and baking pumpkin seeds in butter and salt until they are all golden brown and crispy. I miss cuddling up on the couch or floor on Halloween night after an exciting time roaming the neighborhood for trick or treating (and sorting thru the candy to make advantageous trades with my brother), half-asleep, watching a scary movie on TV while my parents are puttering around the house or sitting with us.

I miss making decorations at school and bringing them home to show Mom and Dad and being so proud of what I made and seeing them up on the tree, the fridge, window, or wall.

I miss going out to pick out our tree, transporting it home, and waiting a couple days for the tree to “relax” and then putting all the lights on it. I miss opening the footlocker of decorations like it was a treasure chest and being instructed by Mom as to how to place the decorations for maximum effect (always hang a glass ball by a light so it will reflect and shine and remember to not place the same color balls too near each other).

I miss the family endeavor of making Christmas cookies and we each had our own job and specialty – Dad operated the Spritz cookie machine with much swearing, my brother and I were in charge of putting the decorations on them (cherries, sprinkles, colored sugar, and putting the filling in the Kolachkies – sp?), and Mom was the hub, the main cookie dough-maker and referee. I miss all the cookies, on their various plates and in containers, displayed on the Hoosier cabinet and sneaking cookies every time I walked by them.

I miss having a stocking, not so much for the stuff in it, but because of what it represents – someone who loves me that is thinking of me, my needs, and is taking the time to put something together for me that reassures me of their love and affection.

I miss that hushed anticipation time before my parents woke up and my brother and I waited in our rooms Christmas morning (the rule was we weren’t allowed to wake them up or leave our rooms before they woke up). I miss the quiet time after the gifts were open when house smelled of good cooking and everyone was playing and/or reading with their gifts or just sitting munching on Christmas cookies.

I miss sitting with my family in that quiet loving stupor after we’ve made all the pierogis and stuffed our bellies with plenty of artery-clogging goodness. I miss Dad cleaning up in the kitchen and Mom sitting down watching TV or with a crafty book and we all are exchanging family chitchat and jokes.

I admit to hanging on to them probably longer than I should, but wouldn’t you want to keep something that makes you feel loved and safe?

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Some times the Mom (aka: the Hub) just gets tired. I think I lost the enthusiasm when C moved so far away.

And of course, I'm old now.

We did have fun last year with something new-- building the Gingerbread House.

Perhaps you should mentor a child and do these things for and with that child. Fill an Easter basket, make Valentines, bake cookies.

You see it's more fun to delight a child and that's why I gave you both so many happy memories. I thought you both would have families by now and would be busy making new memories for yourself.

I like doing absolutely nothing but what I feel like doing on the holidays. And some years that means no tree, no stockings, no presents, and no cookies.