Thursday, December 14, 2006

OMG! Could I Be Any More Postal?

‘Tis the season to be gracious but goddamnit, when you have a loud juicy open-mouthed gum-chewer in your midst, gracious is next to impossible to feel. Add non-stop talking at supersonic boom level with repeated “like, you knows” and “you know what I means” sprinkled repeatedly after every other sentence and you have me trying my hardest to not go all ballistic on someone’s ass. Of course, PMS is also thrown into the explosive cocktail of irritability and low tolerance. Yeah me!

I have proactive measures, like wearing my headphones and listening to a CD on repeat, in place. But really, should I have to? I could be damaging my eardrums with how loud I have to play the CD to block out the noise level. It’s a place of work full of [hopefully] professional human beings and shouldn’t this behavior be confined to the privacy of that person’s home?

Is there some way to tell them that their farmyard noises are less than appreciated without offending them?

Is there some way to tell them their constant inability to control the volume of their voice, whether on the phone or in face-to-face discussion, is impeding my professional effectiveness?

Is there some way to let them know that I and the others they talk to are not stupid and we do not need the same sentence/idea/story/phrase repeated numerous times in only slightly different versions? And is it really necessary for me to hear the same story 5-7 times in one day as they speak on the phone (one after the other) to that many people involved with the case?

Is there some way to stop them from repeating “like, you know” and “you know what I mean” after every other fucking sentence? I’ve kept count and tallied 40 of them in 5 minutes. This is beyond jumping on my last nerve!

So… this is my dilemma.

Right now I am hiding a ravening sharp-clawed bitch with no filter system in place on her mouth behind a flat-faced affect wearing headphones with Danity Kane blasting in my poor beleaguered ears.

Maybe I need some holiday music…

And some real chocolate…

Which I do have now.


1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Sony has noise dampening earphones for people to wear on airplanes but they are being purchased to wear at work.

It would be silence but wouldn't that be nice? And I think her behaviour is technically harrassment because it makes you uncomfortable. So You could write up a harrassment complaint and see what happens.