Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh For Those Days of Innocence

I went to a recent hospital booksale and there wasn't much there. I went over the room searching for certain authors and subjects first like I always do and then did a second go-round in case my specific blinders missed anything. I found this on the go-round and almost didn't buy it. I put it back but then picked it back up, flipped thru it, giggled at the contents and some of the text under the headings, and decided I could not pass it up. I'm very glad I didn't, I have been laughing what remains of my ass off! This lovely find "is based upon Harford Powel's epoch-making article entitled 'Bed Manners', which appeared in Vogue, December 1, 1933." These authors decided an article just wasn't enough for a "subject [that] has never before been discussed in print, and deserves the careful study which [the authors] have given it." I present to you (click for bigger view)...


"How to bring sunshine into your nights." Whoa, Nellie! This book is two volumes in one, the first volume's illustrator is far better than the one for the second volume.


I think my favorite chapters are #s 5, 9, 10, 13 (like yatchting was an everyday occurrence), and 14 (I know trains were).

See what I mean, more interesting to look at and more highbrow witty.

My favorite chapters in Vol 2 are #s 7, 8 (I'd like to see this advice work today), 9 (referring to a favorite subject), 12 (are sick people ever charming?), and it's companion 13 (don'ts for sick people).

See what I mean about the different type of illustrator? Not so attractive and highbrow.

If you are interested and lucky, maybe your library could find this book with an interlibrary loan!

1 comment:

Madpuppy said...

So, this is a humourous book?

I'd much rather see what a serious, straightforward 1930s book on bedtime etiquette would look like.