Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Super Powers are Morphing!

Apparently my time-keeper killing capabilities have morphed into computer accessories assassination.

Yes, that is what I said. Not only can I stop a watch cold dead if you give me a brand new battery and a couple months or have the digital clocks in my house speed up or slow down depending on whichever mood I happen to be in for a long time, but now I can stop a mouse cold dead.

Unfortunately, I'm not yet in control of this particular developing super power. It's mostly random right now, but the tech guy at work thinks this may be the root of my mouse issue.

See, I will be working away, print something, get up to go get it, come back and Dead Mouse. Or after I talk on the phone to a client for awhile, Dead Mouse. No cursor movement whatsoever no matter what I do other than CtrlAltDelete, log off, and unplug the damn computer's brain. When I plug back in and the computer comes back on, I Got Mouse.

He thinks I may have one of those supercharged electromagnetic body systems and when I come back, unbeknownst (here's the not in control part of the super power) to me I am giving my mouse a shock as soon as I touch it which kills it.

His game plan...

Whenever I leave my desk and come back or finish talking on the phone, I must touch the metal part of my desk before touching any computer accessory. He will be calling beginning of next week to see if this helps. If not, they do make mini lightening rods that come attached to the wrist pads or mouse pads.

This of course has caused much merriment amongst my co-workers.

One had to come inform me that I "was being let go because my electromagnetic issues can no longer be accomodated due to the increased computer work load." HahHah.

My boss had to come tell me that I was the most high maintenance employee she's ever had. I pointed out after the mutual guffaw that I still had the original chair I started with 5 Septembers ago with nothing fancy attached to it in addition to her old desk and haven't yet requested a new one, and was it my fault I had to deal with my old computer brain's repeated Blue Screen of Death issues?

Another co-worker came in and kindly put a Post-It note saying "Touch here" on one of my metal drawers. Then we joked that trying to develop the habit of touching my desk everytime I sat down was going to trigger an OCD landslide and I would start touching all things metal on my way to and from the printer in the next office.

I wonder what comes next super power-wise - causing street lights to flicker and then go out? That'd be a good way to win a bet or a beverage!

No comments: