Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Table for One, Please!"

I actually decided not to join the crazies at the grocery store. I just wanted to get home and shovel my driveway. I’m going shopping after my late afternoon meeting today.

It’s both easy and hard shopping for one person.

Easy in that I can buy my favorite items whenever whatever or when I get on an extended “favorite food kick” I can buy bulk and I don’t have to answer to anyone but a co-worker who has to point out every time I have something 3 days in a row “that she couldn’t eat the same thing day after day”. Well, she’s not me and she didn’t eat a PB sandwich for lunch for her entire elementary and middle school career. And I just read a blip on msn.com that stated the authors of “You, the Owner’s Manual” have a new “You, on a Diet” book that kudos eating the same thing every day. It an autopilot thing and if you eat rather healthy foods (like my daily b-fast of oatmeal with OJ every morning), then it’s not a problem. I like that. Autopilot with Autistic tendencies = me.

Hard in how to plan out what I should do for meals and menus. Meaning… if I make a casserole or a “meal”, I can expect to eat this for the entire week. Now, while I do not have a problem with eating the same thing everyday, I do mind having it for two meals (lunch and dinner) a day. So what do I make for the other meal? And what if I make something and then it falls out of favor two days into eating it? What do I do with all that food? My cooking skills are basic and minimal and where my math skills are sketchy along with my past history of having extreme difficulty with chemistry, I am afraid and unwilling to “cut a recipe down”. How do I know if what I reduce will be right?

So I typically just go with Autopilot breakfast (oatmeal with a sprinkle of mini choc chips and OJ – I know, I know, it should be a sprinkling of fruit, but the choc chips get it down, otherwise I’d be eating Cheerios and getting hungry at 10:00am, not an option) and cravings for the other meals.

I just finished a Chicken Salad kick not too long ago and am now off it due to getting a gastrointestinal something or other (virus or food poisoning not sure which, could have been a combo, a co-worker had the throw-up/liquid-from-your-ass virus earlier that week and I did eat some chicken that might have been squiffy later that week) after having it for lunch. Not yet ready to venture back into that territory. I haven’t settled on anything else. Recently had homemade split pea soup with purple potatoes, carrots, and ham, so that’s fixed that craving for some time. I do want Plaza Toast (thick cuts of bread, ham slices, pears, Swiss cheese slices all layered on top of each other and baked, then slathered in Hollandaise sauce. Healthy – not really. Good for the soul – oh absolutely!)

So my shopping lists looks like this so far:
Basics: OJ, Milk, Oatmeal, Bananas, Baby Spinach Salad (Croutons, Julienne carrots, Cherry tomatoes)
Lunch ideas: Tyson Honey Battered Breast Tenders (no Transfats!), Tortillas
Snack ideas: Celery, Carrots, Black olives, Red/orange/yellow peppers, Ranch dressing, special Potato Chips (only found at one store in the healthy aisle), Part skim milk mozzarella string cheese (heard this was good for you)
Dinner ideas: Plaza Toast (bread, pears, ham, Swiss cheese, Hollandaise sauce mix), Chicken Soup (chicken broth, celery, carrots, noodles, small onion, possible chicken), Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (bread, American cheese slices, tomato soups)
Possible idea: English Muffin Pizzas (thanks to a co-worker) (English muffins, tomato sauce, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese, peppers, olives, pepperoni)
Desserts: Mini ice-cream sandwiches, Oreo Cookie-Frozen Yogurt milkshakes (new craving, like catnip! – Oreo cookies, frozen vanilla yogurt or low-fat ice-cream)

Sounds like I’m feeding a family of 6!

Oh, Moomin is now on Weight Management Adult food coz he’s got a fat cat ass and a big belly! I called the vet Monday to see if I really needed to continue kitten food until his first birthday. They said no, thank god, coz he’s getting HUGE!

No comments: