Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Six Word Stories

This post will have to tide you over, I'm off on a 4-day weekend due to windows being replaced. Woe is, I mean, Yea me!

I found this idea on “Red Shoe Ramblings” blog in October (2006), but the thought of it has stayed with me since then. The one she used as an example besides her own story, was one by Margaret Atwood – “Longed for him. Got him. Shit.” I like that. Whenever I have a free moment and can’t doodle or appear “non-busy”, I try to create a 6word story. It’s fun, like shorthand that creates an instant word-picture. Here are a few of my attempts to be clever grouped by subject matter as I am a tad OCD at heart!

Science Fiction
Extraterrestrial lands, befriends child, phones home. (*smirk*)
Space explored. War with Others. Lost. (or Won. depending on how you like your endings)
Annihilation of humans eminent! Animals rule!

Space Opera
Hero saves damsel in BEM distress.
Sword swinging solves all scientific dilemmas.

Modern-Day Romance (although subject matter isn’t very romantic) with sequels
First book: Sex early on. Quickie marriage. Divorce.
Second book: Divorced. Down on love. Supportive friends.
Third book: Blind date. Love at first sight.
Fourth book: Courtship ups and downs. Second marriage.
Fifth book: Dealing with the Brady Bunch Syndrome.

Mass Produced Romances
Speed dating for Mr. Right. Found him!
Same plot, change names and places.

Bodice-Ripper Romance
Like/dislike repeated ad nauseum. Love.
Should she? Will he? Can they?
First time forced. Second time loved.
Reluctant bride, unsuitable suitor, lover overcomes.

Gothic Romance
Did you see or hear that?
Dark inheritance + brooding man = instant love.
Mysterious manor + amnesia + insanity + murder = love.

Horror
Teens save town despite disbelieving adults.
Shhhh! There’s something under the bed.
Clueless white people; unholy chaos ensues.

Ghost Story
Unsuspecting family moves in, disturbs rest.
Adolescent + angst = poltergeist + many investigators.
Unrequited love. Suicide. Spirit lingers. Haunting.

Lovecraftian
Forbidden manuscript found. Unsuccessful portal opening.
Inbred coastal town. Monster raised - opposed.
Gruesome discovery. Deaths abound. Tentacles resisted.

British Mystery
Party hearty. Body found. Affluent suspects.

Locked Room Mystery
Police stumped. Amateur detective finds illusion.

Sherlockian
Self-explanatory clues (not!) interpreted. Elementary!

True-Crime
Two met. Two married. One murdered.

Pulp Fiction
She knocked. I cruised and bruised.

Suspense
What was that? And that? And…?

Psychological Thriller
Are you deliberately driving me crazy?
Does anyone believe me? No? Yes?
Everything appears normal. Sure about that?

Movie Star Biography
Young wannabe on casting couch. Star.

Movie Star Sequel
Star. Drugs and alcohol. Falling star.

Royalty Biography
Survived childhood, numerous marriages to rule.
Trials and tribulations pre/post crowning.
Ruling despite revolts, adultery, strife. (Oh, my!)

Fairy Tale
Adult child magically seeks unconditional love.
I fell asleep; awakened by Beast!
Swim with mermaids, sleep with men.
Magic beans prevent foreclosure and eviction.
Peasant stock finds Prince Charming love.

2 comments:

Deb R said...

Excellent stories!

Hope you're having a good weekend!

The Edward said...

Very nice! Some very funny ones.

Though I can not decide if: "Ruling despite revolts, adultery, strife. (Oh, my!)" is one long or one short. ;)

Really, I am very impressed - makes me want to try my own. Thank you.