Thursday, January 25, 2007

Poem for Thursday

Here’s a poem I wrote back in my college days about a very unhealthy and damaging relationship that I got out of and finally got closure 2 years after it ended.
… No title.

You whispered sweet and honeyed words in my ear
You expected me to fall on my knees and hold you near
You smiled at me and caressed away every fear
You set me high up on a pedestal
Then you schemed to make me fall
Your schizophrenic tendencies were all
That was needed to
Make me doubt myself
Renounce myself
Lose myself
I would cover my mental bruises with the shredded lace of my self esteem
Unable to predict next the face of tenderness or the face of cruelty
I blindly hid in the arms of your smothering selfish embrace
Competing against me, you turned everything into some sick and twisted race
Mistakenly hoping there was something I could change
To make things as they were once before
Still you shackled me to you more and more
No escape for the weary, no reward for the meek
So I gathered all the moments that I knew now were false treasures
Took all the times of your twisted pleasures
And ground them to dust on your black heart
Then turned away
Praying there was enough of me left to make a new start

No comments: