Tuesday, January 23, 2007

... And So the Unexpectedness Continues...

This morning after shoveling light fluffy and sparkly snow and my shower, Moomin and I finished our daily love-fest ritual (headbutts, nose-kisses, butt shots, forehead rubs, nose rubs, cheek rubs, etc and the occasional munch on my wet hair while he’s in my arms). Then I went into my bedroom to moisturize my face. (Silly, you can’t have a love-fest if you’ve already put moisturizer on, then it’s all over the cat!)

I go back into the bathroom to comb out the tangles when I notice spots of blood on the toilet lid. So I’m standing there in a white robe trying to figure out where the blood is coming from coz I can’t find any on me or the white robe when I dimly recall hearing Moomin jump on the toilet.

I track him down. Take him to the bedroom, flip him on his belly, and check his paws. Nothing. I check his belly. Nothing. I check his face. I don’t see anything until I wipe my finger across his very wet black nose. BLOOD! And lots of it!

So minor panic sets in! He just love-fested me not more than two minutes ago and now he’s got a bloody nose. I get more tissues and the flashlight. While wiping, I’m shining the light right up his nose to determine what’s going on to lead to blood.

I can’t find anything and Moomin finally lost his patience with me so I let him go. I call the vet and they said to bring him right in. I pack him up in the cat carrier and walk to the vet. So exciting! I must have looked worried coz two people stopped to let me cross the uncrosswalked street. Blessings on them for the rest of their day. The vet checks him over and thinks one of the other cats swiped him and caught a claw in his nasal area. “And this will ooze and bleed for some time as facial injuries tend to do this, so you might want to confine him to a small area to prevent him from marking up your stuff.”

Like that’s going to work. Between Houdini Doodlebug and MuscleMan Moomin, no door in my house stays shut for very long unless I secure it with rope or something of that sort. So he marks up my house with little blood schmears *shrug*. Club soda will take care of it. I’m hoping he just naps ‘til I get home.

And the vet said it most likely won’t get infected but I will have to check to see if it is bleeding when I get home from work, coz if it is, that indicates a possibly serious problem. I’ve got my mental fingers crossed.

Oh, and Moomin weighs 12.20 pounds. Of course he be-smeared the scale. Good thing I started his adult weight maintenance food. HUGE and bleeding!

Golden sides of the coin: I noticed his nose issue obviously right after whatever it was happened. I was able to squeak into the vet before work. Dr. Horgan thinks it will be fine. And I can clean blood schmears with club soda.

No comments: