Monday, November 06, 2006

That's Not Something You See Everyday!

Yes, folks, I have ventured into the strange world of MRIs.

And I have seen MY BRAIN! Not the actual grey spongey stuff, but a MRI of it.

I got to see that although it appears pretty symmetrical, it’s not really. I have a swirly something or other on the left side just under the middle that isn’t on the right. But the lit up part was on both sides like a one-lobed two-wing butterfly.

I also noticed that my skull is not symmetrical at all. If I shaved my head, I would have a large hillock on the left side right above my ear area and two hillocks with a valley on the right side over my ear area. Not sure why they are there and what happened to create them. I also noticed that my jaw area is VERY unsymmetrical. Nice.

I just can’t get over the fact that I have seen an image of MY BRAIN! Yes, I have had X-rays of my arm (broken in two places), foot (bone spurs), and head (for wisdom teeth removal) in the past. Yes, I had some sort of radioactive body scan (for stress fractures and I never got to see it). But we’re talking MY BRAIN here.

I had to go to this little moveable detachable building attached to the hospital. I wasn’t allowed to take the stairs (not safety regulated) so the MRI person and I rode the honking huge ramp up to the sliding-garage-doorlike door. The whatever-you-want-to-call-it was divided into two sections – the MRI section and the desk/computer/music section. They asked me to remove all metal prior to coming (the questionnaire was truly interesting, I can see a be-pierced person having to list all their piercings on another page, I only had to list my ears) and to bring a CD. Glad I remembered to do both. Those machines are LOUD. I can see why people with issues have a problem with being in there. I just kept my eyes closed, listened to Fleetwood Mac, and tried not to shiver (not much insulation in the little traileresque thingie). I also concentrated on not having my cold fill up my nose and make it impossible to breath. I blew my nose thoroughly before lying down and being wedged in so I didn’t have any stuffiness like I had anticipated.

I’m feeling a bit naked at the moment. I forgot to put my jewelry (earrings, rings, necklace) back on when I stopped at home to grab my lunch on my way to work.

I got to see MY FREAKIN' BRAIN!!

2 comments:

The Edward said...

Interesting... did the machine have to slide you in? One of the main things I had heard about these machines was the claustrophobic feeling, because one lies on a cart and is slide into a machine that fits kind of snugly - not even enough room to move ones arms. Is that true?

The question I hate to ask: what was the reason for this brain viewing? Nothing serious, I hope!

Did you get to keep a copy of the scan? Maybe you could post a picture of it in your blog - let other people get a peek inside of you.

Samantha said...

Yes, it is a snug tube-like fit and whatever they are MRIing is wedged so it can't move. So my head was immobilized and headphoned so I could listen to my CD. There's nothing to look at but the tube which is mere inches from your face, so I just kept my eyes closed (not claustrophobic). I was tired too, the night before, I was all boogered up and couldn't breathe. Makes for a restless night...

Reason was to make sure there are no "detached arteries" or other reasons for headaches that are a result of prolonged heavy duty physical exertion. (So makes me want to work out - UGH).

I don't know if I will get a copy. When I got my foot X-rayed, they "sent" the X-rays via computer to the bone doctor. I will definitely try to see if I can obtain a hard copy as proof I actually have a brain!