Monday, June 23, 2008

Poop Explosion Weekend is SO Over

Believe me when I tell you that dealing with three cats who all have explosive diarrhea at the same time is NOT. A. FUN. experience.

It started out innocuously with Doodle, as reported earlier last week. Her sample came out negative by the way. Still no word on the blood.

Then Friday evening I noticed Hobbes having issues with sharts and liquid from his ass.

Then late Friday night I noticed Moomin had a schmear on his bloomers and was yodelling more then usual when he went potty.

Then it hit me, they were all going potty in the box and having diarrhea.

It was a veritable POOP EXPLOSION FROM HELL!!! I was in hell, a smelly trigger-your-gag-reflex hell. The cats weren't even bothering to dig holes or bury anything. They would just cop a squat and let go. Mostly in the boxes but there were a few drips over the edge especially when they started to run out of room or needed to go RIGHT that second.

I cleaned the box twice Friday night before I went to bed.

I was awakened at 3am on Saturday by somefurrybody vomiting 3 times, HUGE vomits. I cleaned that up and it smelled just like the box's business. Gag. Then once the sun came up, Doodle tried to go potty, came out without doing anything, yarfed some more smelly vomit, and then immediately went to the box to basically yarf from her butt. I'm thinking she had tummy cramps so bad they made her nauseous, you know, like what happens to us humans?

Saturday morning I scooped liquid poo. Saturday afternoon I scooped liquid poo. Saturday night I scooped liquid poo.

I tried to be a forensic detective Saturday. There had to be a common thread. Obviously it wasn't the food, they all eat different food. The vet gave me 4 cans of prescription wet food for Doodle and Hobbes/Moomin's wet food dates all checked out. It couldn't be Doodle's thyroid coz they all had diarrhea. What else did they have in common besides being indoor cats living in the same house and shitting in the same boxes?

Water.

I've been getting water from my friend J2's house, they live on a lake and have filtered water. This arrangement has been working fine since Moomin's bladder issues this past fall. But I'm wondering if there was a bad batch. I store the water where I come in and I think the sun may have tweaked the water to give them all the squirts. So to rule out the water theory, I emptied the water bowls, replaced the bowls with new bowls, filled them with my new Brita-filtered water, scrubbed the water fountain and changed it's water, and...

the hardest part, I had the cats fast for 24 hours.

Trust me, scooping liquid poo is much easier.

Saturday night I had to listen to "where's our bedtime snack?" repeatedly.

Sunday morning I had to listen to "where's our breakfast?" for two straight hours.

Luckily, I had a project to do at my parents so I could escape the nonstop "where's our breakfast, aren't you going to feed us, where's our food, are you going into the kitchen, what's that you have, are you going to get my food out of the fridge, we're hungry, why aren't you feeding us, what's the deal, can't you see we're starving?"

I spent most of my day away and when I came home, it was the same spiel only with dinner substituted for b-fast. I futzed around outside taking pictures of my garden for as long as I could before getting eaten by mosquitos, came in and blogged, and then settled in with a book. Things kind of calmed down but every time I moved or shifted, the whole hungry Bambi eyes deal would start up again.

Finally I fed them at 7pm, but no bedtime snack. Gotta start slow.

In the boxes this morning were 4 solid good-sized pee clumps. No poops.

The kiddos were fed their regular breakfasts and when I came home after work, I scanned the boxes and did not see any visible evidence of anything.

So here's hoping things are back to normal, poop that is.

No comments: