Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Dot Dogs, Tick'n Guts, and Fat Boy Frappes

I was invited tonight to go to a drive-in with the friend/co-worker (C) who drove me to the airport, her hubby (C2), her daughter (g), another friend (S) and her daughter (k).

The drive-in is called Fat Boy and you have to "turn on your lights for service". Poor carhops tonight had to serve in the rain. Poor customers in their foggy cars. We ate inside coz our party was too big to fit in one car - four grown-ups, two toddlers, and ketchup. Yeah, I'm glad we were inside.

Food's cheap. I guess people really like their burgers, fried haddock rolls, and hot dogs. Not me. I had the crispy chicken fingers, cheese sticks, some onion rings, and a frappe. Treat day today! I am SOOOO going to pay for this meal tonight as my body is going to make me sorry I ate all that grease and fatty food. But it was good for the soul because I was with excellent company instead of hermitting at home.

Because 'g' is only two, she was full of pep and she bounced like Tigger in the booth, thoroughly irritating the couple next to us. C apologized but the sphincter-lady said "if I jumped like that, my father would have benched me." After they left, S said she should have told the lady that her father benching her was the root of all her problems. I said it's a drive-in after all, they should have stayed in their cars if they didn't want to be bothered by other customers. The next couple was more tolerant and they laughed just as heartily as we did when 'g' got very excited about the train. 'g' stood straight up in the booth, opened her mouth wide, loudly yelled "TRAIN", and had her little fists up in the air shaking them like a frenzied politician when it tooted directly behind the restaurant.

I asked the other grown-ups if they thought Fat Boy would make the Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives cut. S said she "loves that show" and when I said I was crushin' on Guy, both C and S had hysterics. C said she thought Fat Boy should be on the show. Then we dished about which episode was our favorite. Mine is the one that has the little old Southern black lady behind the counter grilling up the food who verbally smacks down people who don't know the correct ordering lingo. While S and C dealt with their respective daughters, I thought about it and came to the decision that Fat Boy wouldn't make the cut. Their food is not spectacular or unique or has any special twist to it. People mostly go because they've been going since they were little and there are memories associated with going to Fat Boy rather than the food itself. And then the prices would make any miser delighted. The place down the street, Morse Lobster Shack (another drive-in), has WAY better onion rings and I know two other places that have far better cheese sticks. The burgers I guess are sliders but they seem rather small and tasteless to me. But their frappes are delish! I got an orange cream and chocolate mix and it was heavenly. I'll give them points for their frappes.

The title of this post, by the way, is how C's daughter pronounces hot dogs and chicken nuggets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK! We had a blast with you too! Glad you came, look forward to next time! :) CEW