Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Definitive in Campy SciFi Cheesiness with Glitter*

*And let me tell you, the digital remastery has made the movie VERY glittery!!!

I got my Flash Gordon DVD yesterday! It came in right on time and before my b’day. I picked it up, got home, and settled into the Chair of Death to overdose on a childhood movie.

I have to say, watching it in it’s entirety through adult eyes was a bit vertigo inducing. I kept expecting scenes, effects, dialogue, and random details that were either before I thought they should happen or some time after I thought they should happen or they were missing altogether or were completely different. So it was fun, but as I said, it was almost like wearing glasses that allow you to see but are just off enough to slightly tweak what you see thus causing some discombobulation.

One thing that really struck me was how accepting as a kid I was of Dale and Flash’s relationship. One minute they’ve just met each other, next minute they are holding hands and unconscious in a rocket ship, then they are an item when they arrive on Mongo, profess their feelings while he’s chained up, after he comes back from the dead they get engaged and discuss kids, and after he’s saved Earth, they’re inseparable. And this was all happening in less than 48 hours. As a kid, this did not seem at all out of the ordinary for me, it made sense that it was “insta-love” as there is nothing like extreme sci-fi events to promote getting to know your significant other as quickly as possible. As an adult, I had some difficulty wrapping my mind around how fast their relationship developed until I finally mentally yelled at myself to just stop it and enjoy a childhood favorite.

The soundtrack was as great as I remembered. And I very much enjoyed the enhanced colorific version as the edition we watched as kids was a recorded from a cable channel version on a VHS tape with two other movies and it was not a very sharp or colorful copy. If I remember correctly, there were some lines and minor tracking issues as well.

Overall, I had fun rocketing down the memory vortex.

No comments: