Thursday, August 16, 2007

Based On This Morning's Events...

I am expecting to run the rest of the emotional gamut today.

I woke up to the phone ringing at 7:00am (well, I was awake but not yet ready to “get up”) and was serenaded by my mom singing “Happy Birthday”. She and Dad are on their way out of state. I got their card in the mail yesterday, Elvis of course. It’s become a running joke to get me Elvis cards for my b’day because I can’t stand the man and the fact he had to die on my b’day and all I get all day is “Elvis Elvis Elv-ass!”

I got a package from my brother yesterday as well. It’s a “Box O’ Fun” and I am going to open all the goodie bags in it today (why not yesterday? It wasn’t my official b’day that’s why) when I get home from work early… I plan on playing hooky before lunch, just finishing up some loose ends this morning.

The absolutely amazing event was after the phone call and after I fed the furry herd. But before I tell you this, I have to take you back two weeks ago… Moomin was starting the whole bladder infection symptom cycle again two weeks ago so the vet receptionist told me I need to get a sample of his urine. Her suggestion was for me to put him in a room by himself all day with a litter box full of fish rocks. I laughed at her on the phone and told her that was not going work in my household o’pets as I’d most likely come home to the doors hanging off their hinges and someone seriously hurt. So other than bringing Moomin in so they could squeeze him like a grape, I was going to have to be fast and careful in catching a sample. The next morning I had the litter box closet all ready (door wide open, ceramic mini bowl in fast reach). Moomin decided he was going to fart around in the dining room and torment the other cats. I had to get to work, so I said out loud, “Moomin, I have to go and I need to get some from pee from you, please come in here and go to the bathroom.” What does he do? I know, you’re thinking “cat = animal = no real verbal understanding = no results”. To my utter amazement, he waltzes around the corner, comes into the living room, walks directly into the litter box, and cops a squat. I grab the dish, slide it under him and viola I have a perfect urine sample. It turns out he needed to be on a week’s worth of antiBs and I would need to get another urine sample after that week to see if he needs more of them. And now for the amazing and uncanny morning event. Last night I verbally told Moomin that I was going to need a urine sample from him in the morning and he needed to be as good as last time. I said this about 3 times before bed. This morning, I answered the phone, fed the cats, and waited. I had the litter closet ready, bowl at hand, and just as he finished his breakfast, I reminded him I needed a pee sample. This wonderful cat jumps off his TV tray, saunters into the litter box, and futzes around a bit to find THE spot and then lets me not once, not twice, but adjust the bowl under him three times to get an unlittered sample. Of course when he was done and I took the bowl, he didn’t quite understand “where” his pee had gone and why it wasn’t there for him to cover up. His puzzled face was priceless.

And on my way to work (on a B’day high and super-pumped about Moomin and there was good music on the radio so I didn’t have to change the station more than once), the Universe decides I need a smackdown, way down. I’m tooling along and come around a corner and a dithering chipmunk is in the road. Before I can react and slow down or honk the horn, he’s dithered himself under my car and the visual that is stuck in my head (and will be for the next several weeks) is what I saw in my rearview side mirror of the chipmunk flipping around like a beached fish on my side of the road. So I sobbed the rest of the way to work.

The next stop on the emotional gamut was embarrassment coz I forgot one co-worker’s thankyou card as I was handing out their thank you’s for yesterday’s cheesecake, balloon, and cat calendar. I will have to get it to her tomorrow.

That makes euphoria, trauma, and mortification. That leaves plenty of other extreme emotions to run up against today.

1 comment:

The Edward said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like my timing is about the same as last year. I hope you had a great day!