Monday, June 11, 2007

A Weekend of Pain

Very early Saturday morning I was awakened, not by the treading of small feet on my hair or my boobies (which is always a minor painful experience), but by a major major MAJOR leg cramp-charley horse in the smack middle of my right calf. Usually if I lay on my stomach and go totally limp, it will go away, but not that morning. It just kept building and tightening and was seriously the most excruciating pain I have yet experienced in my life. It was SO painful it made me so intensely nauseous I almost threw up in bed. Breaking my arm, getting the wind knocked out of me, taking shin cracks in soccer, and the migraines had nothing on this cramp. It must have lasted 2 minutes at the most but it felt much longer. Finally it faded slowly away but there was vestigial pain in the middle of the calf all day, like I had been punched in the calf and the muscle had been bruised, and it most likely was. I soldiered on with my ambitious plan to walk to all the addresses of the people I need signage permission from for the upcoming Drug, er, I mean, Book Sale the end of June. It took me about an hour and a half to walk to all the houses. I didn’t “hurry”, not that I could what with the calf and feeling slightly yarfy the whole hike. Getting home was nice. Sinking into my Chair of Death was even nicer.

Then on Sunday, the leg was better, but as I mowed my yard, I developed a nice juicy migraine mid-way through. One of my bigger ones and the Aleve worked, barely. I was reduced to the Chair of Death for a few hours and missed out going to eat lunch with my mom but food was not in the books. I felt more myself around 8:00pm. I did get to sit outside in a plastic Adirondack-type chair for awhile early evening. There were only a few buggies that were more interested in beating themselves against my house than coming over and bugging the shit out of me.

I did see two real-life firsts this weekend. Friday I saw what I’ve only seen in pictures on Axel Rose, a skirt on a man. A camouflage-patterned pleated skirt complete with some sort of purse/tassel type thingie hanging from his waist about groin height. Nice. And what got me was that I saw this on a male teacher or aide in a school and no one found it the least bit comment-y. I obviously kept my comments and raised eyebrows to myself. I think men should wear skirts/kilts if they want, but I don’t think a school is the place to wear one. The other thing I saw, on Saturday’s hike, was one of those old fashioned bikes, the ones with the REALLY big front wheel with handle bars and seat over it and the itty bitty tiny wheel in the back, sort of like a tacked on training wheel. The guy riding it was higher than the cars passing him and he had no gears to assist with hilliness. And that’s a long way to fall if the bike goes out of control. His wife was riding behind him on a mountain bike, probably for emergency care purposes.

No comments: