Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Feast or Famine

Coming back from vacation sucks in the “ohmigod, I have so much to catch up on, to do, to complete, to start, to finish, to follow up on, to figure out why I kept this something-or-other, and why did I go away in the first place if this was what I was coming back to” way.

And just this afternoon, I’ve managed to work myself into “The Nothing To Do Corner”. I powered thru last week, yesterday, and this morning and now that I’ve done everything I needed to catch up on plus the backlog that I was putting off for two months.

So what do I do? I draw incredibly detailed maps and color code where I will be placing different sized signage for the upcoming book sale. I re-do the table that has columns for *Where sign is going, *Permission from and when they gave it, and *What size sign by gussifying it up with bold, italics, underlining, and after it’s printed, different colored highlighters. I file my resources, weed through my Rolodex, rearrange my desktop, check pens for ink, delete emails, create new email folders, try to create “to do” lists out of thin air, and stare intently at the computer while thinking of stuff to do because that makes me look “smart” and “focused” and that “I’m concentrating as you can tell by the furrow in my brow”.

I have plenty of stuff I could be doing outside of working hours. I could be grocery shopping. I could be buying and replacing my super-icky shower head. I could be getting an estimate on rust removal and repainting for my car. I could be buying a new fan for the bathroom and one for the bedroom. I could be perusing phones and spending inordinate amounts of time trying to decide which one to buy to replace my aged phone that’s developed a aggressive form of senile dementia (it will only let me place one call a day no matter how many times I press the talk button after that one call or fiddle with the battery, it doesn’t ring but it will take messages, and it says it’s charging but that’s an outright lie). I have signs to paint and black foam to cut into triangles. I have cats to comb, rugs to vacuum, litter to change, and a lawn to take care of. I need to put my trampoline back together after my father took it apart (he says it was too difficult to mow around while I was on vaca, MEN!). I have some crafty projects a-percolating. And LOTS of books to read!!!!

I really shouldn’t be at work.

No comments: