Thursday, June 28, 2007

"Glistening... My Ass, Sweating Like a Pig is More Like It

I spoke to my brother Tuesday night and he endorsed my blogosophy, to just continue on my merry way as he enjoys catching up with what’s going on with his dearly beloved sister. Well, he didn’t say it exactly like that, being economically-minded when it comes to his verbiage, but I know that’s what he meant.

I lost about 10 pounds of water weight yesterday during the book sale set up. The day started out hot and humid and just went from there. We were working in a middle school gym and the ceiling fans were not “operating properly” so they could not be turned on. I was sweating non-stop for 7 straight hours. Only for books, coz nothing makes me one cranky-ass bitch like hot humid weather. My hands turned black and my hair never dried from my morning shower (which was a complete waste of time really). When lunch came, I discovered the girls’ locker room/bathroom was not only air-conditioned (?) but also completely out of soap. Yeah, I tried really hard to not think about all the stuff still on my hands even after a really hard scrub in hot water. I unboxed 111 boxes of biographies, about the same for mystery (a little less), 20ish boxes for science fiction, and about 15ish boxes for occult. That’s a lot of books and tables and bending and lifting and sorting and organizing and sweating buckets. Not to mention dodging the spiders and ants and flying miniature vampires. Mucho exciting. Again, only for books.

Then went I got home, I found my garden and hydrangea all wilting and pathetic. So I scurried around setting up hoses (hadn’t done that yet) and watering said sad specimens of planthood. Then I brainwaved setting up milk jugs (very cleaned out) and OJ jugs upside down with holes cut in the bottom and stuck them in the ground by the squash and filled them with water. I set up Poland Spring bottles (same way, ass end up with holes and filled with water) up for each pumpkin plant. Now, I don’t know if the jugs and bottles are set up the proper way for maximum irrigation, but if it works, I DON’T CARE. If I come home to non-wilty plants, I’m fine with the jerry-rigged set-up.

After all the extreme sweating, I finally jumped into a fully aerated (thanks to my new institutional shower head, only $4) cold shower and then stayed damp because my house was warm. Not as warm as outside, but still 80 is not all that comfy even with fans on. I perused my book choices, weeded out the doubles, and finally curled up on the Chair of Death and read while my shins throbbed. I think I have another bone spur, located in the opposite heel. Great.

I did not sleep all night because again, the fan did NOT help and I was WARM (read: hot and supremely uncomfortable) all night and there were three cats who were warm and wanting to cuddle up on my sheeted body and I was tossing and turning trying to find the perfect cool spot with legs out from under the sheet, hair sticking to my face and neck and JUST. COMPLETELY. MISERABLE. I finally “woke up” and got out of bed at 6:30am and showered yet again. Then off to work with a side trip to drop off the doubles and just look a bit more for the things I forgot to get to yesterday. Found some major finds!!!

Tomorrow morning I get to put up the signs for our book sale and then I get to scoot to the neighboring town’s book sale before work. Hopefully I will find some treasures which will combat being PMSy, hot, sweating, and irritated coz this sale has boxes of books UNDER the tables in a tiny unairconditioned church. I get very tired of having my butt constantly bumped as I dig through the boxes. UGH!!

No comments: