Thursday, June 14, 2007

Playing "Supervisor Approved" Hookey

Yesterday, I just couldn't take it anymore and asked my wonderful supervisor if I could "just go" as I didn't think they wanted to pay me to pick my nose at work. She sent me off with her blessings, so I went straight to my favorite local gardening shop to buy stuff for my garden which I've neglected to do anything with for the past few years (too lazy, procrastinated like there was no tomorrow, and just not interested in the maintenance factor). But before I went on vaca, I was motivated to replace rotting wood with bricks and also turn the dirt over. Coming home and seeing all that fresh ready-to-be-planted with something dirt and all the compost I've generated built up to a frenzy of "must garden NOW today!!". So I did.

First tho, after returning home with my purchases, I needed to take some buggy pictures. The bee was a lucky shot and I'm surprised I actually took it's picture as I have a inexplicable urge to act like a panicked dumb-ass whenever a bee or a wasp buzzes around me. But I couldn't resist taking a pic of a BeeButt.


Then I disturbed a newly hatched bundle of baby spiders. Too creepily cute! Click on this picture to really get a good look at the babies. This pic doesn't due them justice unless it's full screened.

Hobbes had to watch me in all my gardening frenzy.


Here are my Summer Squash plants. I made a big huge "mound" for them to all be on at once instead of separate mounds (that's a pain in the ass, I'm trying the lazy gardener's way this year).


My pumpkin plants. Again on one big mound in the second raised bed garden. And they have houses coz the last time I tried to grow pumpkins, something chewed thru them right at dirt level.


And a third of my Cherry Tomato plants. I have three half wine barrels and each one has 4 plants. It was the only way to buy the plants, get 12 in one little cork container.




Close-ups of the labels.

I have also started, and yes I know it's late to do so but hey I'm being super optimistic, GIANT pumpkin seedlings and MAMMOTH sunflowers. Giant because they can get over 100 pounds and mammoth because they can eat a child. I plan to just plant the giant pumpkins directly into my compost pile when they are ready to be transplanted and put the sunflowers in the back garden directly behind my house - lots of sun! I'll keep you posted on further gardening developments.

No comments: