Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hair Wars

Well Folks, we hope you enjoyed yesterday’s match. It certainly was an exciting all day event. Never a dull moment!

After an early promising start by a sleek and straight Slambo,

the weather became particularly offensive.

Forcing Slambo to resort to every defensive maneuver in the book and some even not on the books. But despite all the defense…

the weather takes all and Slambo lost.

Slambo: 0
Weather: Every time


Not only can the weather defeat me, but my own hair can defeat me.

It chooses what side it is going to part on that morning. It chooses to ignore the under curling to achieve true bobness and go all flippy-do Farrah Fawcett on my head. It chooses to be blond or a red version of blond. It chooses whether it will be a “nice” hair day or one where I have to use a clip or pony tail holder. I truly don’t know what my hair will be like until I have the hair dryer on. Also, I could start out with one look and throughout the day, it’s gradually changing itself into a completely different look.

As a child I had to battle with it to get the part even and the two barrettes on either side just right. Having a colic on one side in the front does not help matters. I kept it long and straight all through elementary and middle school. Finally in 9th grade, I let my mom cut it to my shoulders. I regret not keeping it there and I’ve sort of blanked why I went all short and feathery (on a good day). I also tried a perm in the high school years, that was a fiasco! I never really learned how to style my hair, brushes and hairdryers and hairspray were awkward to say the least. And in college the awkwardness just continued as I “grue” out another failed perm experiment.

Not until my roaring twenties after college did I start learning to “do” my hair. I had a Beatles bob for a long time and when it finally grew to below my ears, that’s when I started practicing how to get a sleek bob. Then when it got longer and I was partying and dressing up 4-5 nights a week, I started working out how to make my hair FAB-U-LOUS. Curly, straight, sleek, big, kinky, updo, downdo, and very platinum blonde. The more damaged it was, the better I could make it look. It was like a canvas I kept tweaking. Seriously, my hair would take me an hour at the least to rig into some high fashion statement. And I used so much “Freeze” that I would wake up with the same hairdo I had the night before. How alluring was I?! Oh, very!!

Now that big hair is no longer de rigueur, my hair is no longer damaged and it won’t do anything but what it wants. Mostly curl where it’s not supposed to or in the wrong direction. And my water “colors” my hair for me. That’s why most of my current pics show me with strawberry blonde hair. Hopefully a new water heater will fix this unwanted color treatment.

Oh, I'm back home by the way. Lots of work to catch up on and such! I had a good visit with my Gpa, but I am very glad to be home. I missed my space and my kitties.

No comments: