Friday, April 13, 2007

What Makes Us Like Us?

I mean, where do the interests come from?

I know talents and athletic abilities (which are only improved and honed as one practices and trains) can genetically be passed on as well as limitations.

But where do the hobbies, passions, obsessions, fascinations, and interests come from? Are you born with inclinations?

Was I born with this “need” to have cats in my life and to be surrounded by books?

As far back as I can access my memories; I’ve always wanted cats in my life. I had a stuffed cat as one of my earliest toys and many other forms of cats (figurines, stuffed animals, my drawings, pictures, and books about them) as surrogates until I wore my mother down and got my first cat in 6th grade. Now I have three of my own. I can’t pass a cat without trying to make its acquaintance and all my friends’ cats are “oohed and aahed” over regularly. I’d rather hold a cat than a baby, so antisocial of me! But where did this apparently full-blown interest come from?

My love of books and reading may have its roots in me overcoming the challenge of reading. You know, owning what was really difficult to master and then going beyond that. My mother tells me that when I was in elementary school, I would bring home word flash cards and my parents would go over and over them with me that evening. I’d take them back to school with me the next day… and bring the same cards home again because I didn’t get them all right. I remember playing teacher with my brother and trying to make sense of spelling and reading. He started reading when he was four, that didn’t help with the inferiority complex that was slowly growing. I don’t remember what the break-through was, but I do remember devouring the elementary school’s library and the children’s section in the public library and having the most gold stars and longest lists when it came to the reading programs. I swallowed books down and couldn’t wait for the next trip to the library (love that book-infused smell and hushed atmosphere). In 5th and 6th grade, the children’s librarian had to send me over to the adult’s section where the adult’s librarian found me unobjectionable reading material. Zooming through those, I kept that librarian hopping. Then we moved to Germany and my reading was severely curtailed as the only place to access books was through the school library and trying to please the masses pleases no one. I did find a few gems but they were few and far between. Thank goodness for the annual book sales, they always came around when I could not stand to re-read another book for the 50-millionth time.

Pasta, where did that all-consuming passion come from? I had regular spaghetti and tomato/meat sauce (yum by the way) and mac ‘n’ cheese like any other kiddo, but when I started to live on my own, the pasta free-for-all just took off.

What about the love of colors? Wanting a bright palette surrounding me? Having to have all the colors they make for Sharpie markers, using all the brightest colors in the pencil, crayon, or paint boxes? Overdosing on Espirit and Benneton back in the ‘80’s? Having the brightest side of the room in college? And spreading color joy all over my home now?

The attraction to sparkly things? Not girly-girl bling and things, but the old rhinestone brooches, big clear gems (zirconias mostly coz they are affordable), holographic anything, glitter and sequins (not to wear, but to make arts and crafts with), beads, and crystals. I remember delving constantly in my mother’s and my grandmother’s button tins. At Christmas, I am sucked into the ornament sections of all stores looking for the brightest sparkliest ones they have.

Miniatures. I love teeny tiny minis of things and am fascinated by how real they can look. When Dad finally finished the big-ass doll house, I was obsessed with filling it with teeny furniture and accessories. I loved my Barbie and all her fancy clothes, bitty shoes, and microscopic jewelry. I get over-stimulated in craft stores coz there is so much to look at. I made bite-sized hamburgers/hotdogs/grilled cheese sandwiches for one of my parties which were a big hit by the way.

Considering my mother’s oversensitive sense of smell, I wonder where the love of berry/fruity scents came from. I adored The Body Shop when we lived in Germany. They had the best and most realistic smelling fruity lip balms and scented body oils, so all through high school I smelled like a big cherry. I love the Bath and Body Country Apple in all its variations (lotion, soap, bath/shower gel, lip gloss, spray). During my party days, I found Sunflowers, a fruity perfume that I over-shared with everyone. The perfume before that was Tribe (cheap but a purply fruity scent). I used to buy scented candles until my friend’s house burned down (a candle was the reason).

Just rambling on...

1 comment:

The Edward said...

That is a question I ask all of the time as well. The first time I remember asking this was back in 5th grade - I was trying to think of a question to enter in the Tell Me Why contest, mine was "Why do we like what we like?"

I too like pasta and brightly colored things. Very odd for me, since I was always a Goth type and wore nothing but black for a few years. Now, I have a wardrobe filled with colors. I enjoy books as well. I do not know where I got this likes from.

When I first left college, I would ask people "How did you decide on your degree? How did you pick the job you have now?" For most people, they seem to recall one event where they did something and enjoyed it, and it grew into their lives. But still, why did they like it that first time?

Do you remember the first time you read a book that you enjoyed? Do you have a vivid memory of a time when you really enjoyed bright colors? Did someone tell you something interesting about pasta when you where a child?