Monday, April 09, 2007

TeleVenting Yet Again!

You all know the scenario… you find a kick-ass TV program and it gets cancelled.

You get hooked the first/second season and then it’s gone. Like a brightly burning falling star – brief but memorable. Like Dead Like Me, like Popular.

Or you stay with a program because like a good book, you’ve gotten interested in the characters and you want to follow their storylives along. And as a loyal watcher, you stick through the not-so-good seasons and just when things pick back up again and regain that momentum, they pull the plug. Like Ally McBeal and two mentioned below which are starred*.

Or your favorite show with supernatural overtones goes all apocalyptic on your ass, which is a sure sign it’s the final season. Like Buffy, like Angel*, like Charmed*, and now like Supernatural.

Or it’s a really good show, great multi-faceted characters that are never static, smart dialogue, intelligent storylines, humor and tragedy blended like it is in “real” life, and you totally forget you are just watching a TV program and it’s almost like you’re eavesdropping on people you know. And because it’s a show that doesn’t dumb down to the audience, it doesn’t attract a vast array of viewers which leads to “bad” ratings which leads us to be left without a stimulating program. Like Veronica Mars.

I’m just saying is all.

I don’t want to give the impression that I’m a marathon TV watcher. I have one or two programs I tune into on certain days and I read before, after, or in between them. Occasionally I’ll channel surf and catch something on the Discovery Channel or TLC. Or if I’m tired of looking at words, I’ll watch Law&OrderSVU, CSI, or The Closer reruns.

I’m losing both Supernatural and Veronica Mars the end of this viewing season and I’m not real happy about it.

Let’s just hope the programs I have left don’t suffer the kiss of TV death. I would greatly miss Grey’s Anatomy, Prison Break, The Closer, LOST, Project Runway, and America’s Next Top Model. Of course, that would mean more time for reading. Hmmm…

2 comments:

Madpuppy said...

You forgot "Freaks and Geeks" as one of those shows that was amazingly well-done, but never found its audience. One perfect season is all it had.

Luckily, with "F&G" and the shows you mentioned, there's always DVD.

As for some of the existing shows you mentioned- "Lost" lost its way some time last year, and is no longer as engaging as it once was. I still watch it, but "Heroes" has replaced it as my "must-see" show every week. (BTW- "Heroes" has high potential to crash and burn, too- I hope it makes it through this season at least with quality intact).

Deborah Boschert said...

I am loving LOST. Too many LOST fans are insisting on getting some answers rather than just enjoying the ride. I didn't know you watching ANTM -- how about some recaps?