Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Well, That's Over!

I want to whole-heartedly thank my father for being my “dental buddy” yesterday. He was a trooper coming to pick up a be-Valiumed me and driving me to my 8:00am scary dental procedure appointment, and holding my ankle throughout the entire hour. I know he and the dentist had some conversation but I had my CD player on ‘10’ to ensure I heard absolutely nothing but Electric Light Orchestra. Thank you Dad, I would not have been able to do it without you!!

At the beginning, there were several moments when I thought I wasn’t going to be able to have my dad. The nurse/assistant, who greeted me, told me having someone else in their “tiny rooms” was against policy. When what color remained in my face drained away and I said the dentist told me when the appointment was made I could have a buddy, she said she’d “have to check with the doctor”. I heard her muffled unintelligible voice and then his voice clearly stating “yes, it’s against policy but I’m making an exception with this case.”

Now for all his reported rudeness and the little impolite episode I myself experienced, I have to say, my dentist knows what he is doing. Although I can’t say the experience wasn’t full-on nerve wracking (literally - I shook the entire time, there was not a muscle group that didn’t have the tremors. Today I feel like I had the work-out from Hell. Every thing is very sore and I re-discovered abdominal muscles I had totally forgotten I had.), he did make sure that it wasn’t full-on traumatizing. Calmness reigned, nitrous oxide was provided (which I don’t think I really felt the benefits of although it may have taken an edge off, I’m not sure, I wasn’t in any place to judge it’s effect), many many shots of Novocaine, and I got to have my dad. The worst was the heavy pressure drilling/grinding and the smell of the tooth. And the repeated fine tuning drilling to make the expoxy resin into the appropriate shape. And… well you get the idea.

But it’s over and I did it without sedation.

And I was able to have my dad there!

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Electric Light Orchestra?!

I am so glad it's over. Good on you.

Samantha said...

Well, I played heavy metal last time I had to go thru with this and I didn't want that one CD to become traumatic to listen to. Besides, ELO has this grand sweeping sound that can suck you into their music when played directly into your ear at very loud volumes and it brings back happy tween memories and I wanted to listen to a CD where I didn't have to skip songs - so not in shape to do that. Yes, over:)

Oh, in response to your ANTM recap request... So much goes on in that show and all the girls are so whiny that I would miss the show while I was noting down things to blog about. It's easier to recap PR than a bunch of model wannabees and the different challenges and photos in one show. Although it does provide much material for biting wit and sarcasm.

Joanna Stein said...

ELO! They rehearsed for about 4 months at my husband's work a few years ago. We got to be pretty friendly with Richard Tandy. I can still hear him in my head saying "Ello Joanna, Richard Tandy here" all Brit like. Good times.

I'm super glad you made it past the dental work without any issues. Good job and good dad.