Thursday, February 15, 2007

What I Did for Valentine's Day

1) Woke up late.

2) Stayed in my PJs all day.

3) Finished a book and started a new one.

4) Napped with the cats around lunchtime.

5) Had a late lunch of favorite food.

6) Read some more.

7) Watched TV.

8) Made my parents' Valentines while watching said TV.

9) Debated shoveling after LOST.

10) Put off shoveling and went to bed.

This morning I spent 2.5 hours digging my way out. At the end of the driveway, the plowed snow was up to my boobies. Talk about a good time. Now I'm exhausted and have a killer headache, but I made it to work!


The two pictures are views of my library from the Chair of Death.

4 comments:

The Edward said...

I see gaps in your bookshelves that could easily be filled with more books! Are those books you have read, or books you are going to read?

Samantha said...

Books that I have read and decided they were worthy of keeping. Alot I even read more than once.

The Edward said...

What happens to the ones that didn't make the cut? I debate that for myself. If I didn't like something, do I really want to give it to someone else to hate? But throwing away a book is so hard.

I assume that you have a fair number of older paperbacks, I see a few that look like that style. Have you considered book rot? I know most of my paperbacks from the 80s are all yellow with pages falling out - and I treated them so well! I'm just wondering if you have had to deal with similar problems and how you solved them.

Samantha said...

Books that do not make the cut after being read are given to the library annual book sale. Then I don't have to feel guilty coz someone who wants it will find it and buy it cheap!

I find that books need to be clean to begin with. If I see one at the book sales that has book mold or is yellow and crumbly, I don't buy it. But if it is at all saveable, I will buy it, douse it with bleach (not literally, just bleach the spots), let it dry, and put it in a Ziploc. I try to keep my books "aerated", meaning spaces for air to circulate so I don't pack 'em in too tightly on my shelves. Also no moist conditions and try to keep the temp fairly regular. Usually people get book mold or "rot" from dampish conditions mixed with dust or they've introduced a book to their shelves that was "infected" and it creeps onto and into the other books. I still have books from when I was a kid. I treat them well.