Thursday, July 10, 2008

A New Summer Favorite

And just in time too! I'm going to have squash coming out of my ears this summer.

My mom found me this "The Home Garden Cookbook" (by Ken and Pat Kraft) at the booksale and pointed out several squash recipes. I tried one of them tonight and it ROCKED!


Isn't your mouth just watering at this point?

I couldn't stop eating them!

I have to admit. I didn't think I would enjoy squash any other way then the way I usually make it - saute it down until both the squash and onions are completely carmelized. But since this first attempt turned out so delicious, I will be trying several others. Here's today's success...

Skillet Squash
"A milk infusion seems particularly adapted to summer squash. We have used this recipe for zucchini [gag] also, and it would probably work as well with patty pan." - Ken and Pat Kraft (gag courtsey of Slambo)

4 medium-sized yellow squashes cut into 1/2 inch slices
Milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 Tsp butter
*Optional - I added Mrs. Dash's Onion&Herb and from it's tasty goodness, I think you could basically add any other seasoning you like.
*Optional 2 - Parmesan Cheese - I added this to the top of the squash about 5 minutes before taking them out of the pan. Mmm mmm mmm good.

-Put squash slices in a bowl, cover them with milk, and steep for 30 minutes
-Drain well.
-Mix flour, salt, and pepper (and other seasoning of choice, experiment, go wild!).
-Put the mixture in a strong white paper bag (I found the plastic bag cereal comes in completely handy for this coz I don't know anyone who just happens to have a white paper bag waiting to be used!)
-Put in half of the squash slices.
-Hold bag closed and shake it up and down a few times to coat squash with mixture.
-Repeat with rest of squash.
-Melt butter in a large skillet. Note: butter should be completely melted and bubbly (not burning) before going to next step. The book recipe doesn't say this, but my second batch was far better than my first coz the pan was hot.
-Add floured squash slices and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, turning slices over at the 10 minute mark.
-They should be golden brown when done. Note: if you like a little extra crisp, I found you can add another 10 minutes (5 each side) safely without burning as long as your butter isn't. That would be the time to add the Parmchz if you want.

They say this recipe serves 4 but I have to warn you, not all of them are gonna make it to the table. I was eating them as they finished and only have one helping left for lunch tomorrow.

Enjoy! I know I did and will be again, many times!

No comments: