Friday, July 04, 2008

My Mini Doctah Jones Adventure

So I'm watering my newbie plants.

In my bare feet trying to avoid the large and in charge juicy-ass ants that seem to be taking over the world nowadays.

As I'm on my way to fill up another watering can full of water, I hear a skittering next to the house. I look but don't see anything at first, but I still hear some skittering and it sounds animal-like as opposed to a dry leaf blowing across the driveway.

Then I notice movement in the basement window well. I peer thru the plastic cover and discover a small black snake trying it's damnedest to find it's way out and getting pretty darn close to finding his way into my dryer hot air hose.

I lift the plastic cover and the snake is a smart one. He manages to get up over the edge and continues his way along the house. He gets to my one step stoop which puzzles him for a moment.

At this point I'm just interested in watching him. I really don't mind snakes like Indy does. Get me around bees and wasps and I will pull an Indy snake-in-the-plane fit.

Finally the snake makes a choice. The WRONG choice which forces me to take some stunt man action.

He decides he is going to go up the inside of the trim around my door.

I decide this is highly inappropriate and I'm not allowing this. I pull him out by his tail.

He turns around and quickly heads back up into the trim.

I quickly yank him out again.

He gets pissed and lunges at me. And coils himself up like you see pissed off rattlers on those Animal Planet shows. And lunges a couple more times.

I'm no where near him. I'm NOT stupid (although I appear to be sometimes, when it counts I'm not). So while he's busy keeping a close angry eye on me, I'm busy trying to find something to assist him with moving along and staying out of my door trim.

I use one of the small booksale signs I didn't use for the sale to try to coax him but he transfers his lunging biting maneuvers to the sign. Fine by me.

I get him over the stoop onto the other side where he makes a lightening attempt to go up inside that side's trim at which point I promptly pull his ass out yet again.

He's SUPER pissed with me now and divides his attention between the water hose, the booksale sign, and me, lunging and biting.

I had to laugh at him acting all "big and stuff", he seriously looked like a mini rattler minus the rattle. He was doing that coily thing and his head was all flattened out like cats when they put their ears back to hiss.

I explained to him that under no circumstances was I going to allow him up in the trim nor was he going to get a chance to bite me, so he better make the best of things and go enjoy himself under the cool of the hostas.

Which he finally did.

I hope he sticks around, he's good for the garden, eating slugs and bugs and all.

Just as long as he stays away from the dryer hose and the door trim.

No comments: