Monday, July 09, 2007

When It Rains, It Pours

We’ve been having what the Maine meteorologists like to term “unsettled weather” - it will be partly sunny, partly cloudy, chance of showers, chance of thunderstorms, chance of rain, and temps will veer between upper 50s to mid 70s. Basically this means they have no clue and need to cover their asses by running the entire weather gamut in one day. And really the past 3 days have had weather for every type of person each day at some point. If you like sun - you get several hours of that, you want rain for your garden and poor parched grass - you get that a couple times, you like boomers – you get one of those complete with very dark clouds/lightening/power flickers, and you need a light jacket in the AMs, short sleeves/shorts for midday, and another light jacket for the PMs with the occasional umbrella usage.

I much prefer “unsettled weather” instead of weather that resembles the environment in someone’s mouth.

My garden is loving the weather. Since I have put the upside-down jugs in the garden, the squash and pumpkin plants have taken right off. So big and some baby blooms that haven’t opened yet. I plan on getting pictures soon. I have some from last week, but they don’t look like that any more.

I have a honey bee nest under my garage. I have been trying to make up my mind whether I want to cope with that and live in peace with them or smoke ‘em out to find a new place. They enter a small hole that I unsuccessfully tried to block/make inaccessible by my garage door rails, down at the bottom, which means they most likely have a massive underground network. Typically I “encounter” one pollen-loaded bee at a time and they and I have been very avoidant of each other - me because of the huge urge to act like a scared dumb-ass and the bees because I haven’t angered them to the point where disemboweling themselves is worth it. I’ve been leaning towards “living in peace” as they aren’t swarming the hole, I’m not home when they are busy, and when I do “encounter” them, it’s one at a time and they are more interested in going down the hole then bothering with unblossomy me. And they are the cute fuzzy black and yellow bumblers.

Now if it was wasps, that’s an entirely different matter, their asses would be grass. I’m all about spraying those suckers with an instantaneous toxin. They’re always pissed off and out for stinging the shit out of you for NO reason. “Oh, you’re running AWAY from me, let me chase you down the driveway to see if I can catch you and sting the crap out of you BECAUSE I CAN. REPEATEDLY!!!”

2 comments:

Madpuppy said...

You mean you actually have a hive a honey bees on your property? Those bees have been dying off in record numbers this year- don't smoke 'em out, they might be the human race's last source of honey.

Samantha said...

I don't know if the medium-sized or huge fuzzy bumble bees (black and yellow, not really striped) are technically "honey" bees but I call all "bees" honey bees to distinguish them from all other forms of flying stingers, specifically yellow jackets which everyone in Maine refers to as BEES (and they are NOT bees!)