Monday, August 24, 2009

Continuing in the Squashity Vein

I just made a casserole using my home-grown squash and it smells freakin' awesome.

I tried it while I was putting it together and it already tasted heavenly so even tho I haven't tried the finished product, it. will. be. great!

It looks wunnerful too. I can't wait to have it for dinner tomorrow.

The recipe template (key word: template coz I took the recipe and did some major additions) came from a book sale find called "Country Casseroles". A paperback thin pamphletty type book. The original recipe is called Squash Supreme and is credited to Mary Fisher (Madison, Wisconsin) but with my tweaks it is now called...

Sam's Squash Supreme

6 cups sliced yellow summer squash
1 whole small to mid-sized Vidalia onion chopped
1 tsp salt
1 pkg Jimmy Dean regular sausage
1 can (10 3/4 oz) of condensed cream of chicken soup undiluted
1 pkg already julienned/shredded carrots
1 pkg (2 cups) shredded chz of your choice (I used a parmesan mozzarella mix)
1 cup (8oz) sour cream
1 pkg (8oz) seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter melted
*optional: Mrs. Dash's Table Blend to taste
  1. In a large skillet, cook-saute the onions in butter while you are slicing the squash so the onions get slightly browned.
  2. Add sliced squash and cook-saute until squash is tender, floppy, and sort of transparent.
  3. Drain well, but don't turn off the burner.
  4. While skillet is still hot, brown the sausage.
  5. Combine soup, sour cream, carrots, and chz.
  6. Add sausage.
  7. Fold in squash.
  8. Mix well and gently.
  9. Toss stuffing mix with 1/2 cup melted butter.
  10. To assemble casserole: spoon one half of stuffing over bottom of greased big casserole dish (I used the biggest Pyrex I own), top with squash mixture, and sprinkle top with remaining stuffing.
  11. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.


No comments: