Sunday, August 02, 2009

The BugFest That Was This Weekend

I swear I encountered every freakin' bug that lives in my yard, my parents' yard, and on the dogsitting walk this weekend. I had to bugspray myself good to just sunbathe.

You name it;
Mosquitos (poor Riley, if I hadn't coated his buttocks with Burt's Bees bug repellent... he sorely needed it while taking a poop in the woods. God they're ferocious!)
Earwigs
Big juicy black ants
Tiny red ants
Slugs (okay, so they aren't "bugs" but they are pests)
Flies
Horse flies
Deer flies
Bees
Wasps
Some other very large flying stinging creature that I did not care to investigate closely
Grasshoppers
Moths
Midges
Gnats
The striped bugs eating the squash and pumpkin leaves
Japanese beetles
Some other kind of beetle that was black

And spiders, tons of those too;
The Bad Ass Big Yellow spiders (BABYs)
Daddy Long Legs
The zebra-striped jumping ones
The brown nonwebbers that scuttle frantically when startled (usually found around the soil)
Tunnel spiders
And of course, the garden orb spider as seen below.

It's a wonder I wasn't carried off and sucked dry.

No comments: