Wednesday, August 05, 2009

My Chimney Has a TopHat

I finally got my flashing fixed/replaced.

With all the rain we've been having, mostly heavy and driving, Dad's jerry-rigged tar patch finally gave out and I've been experiencing a "River Runs Through It" on my living room wall.

My roofer contractor is reputedly one of the top guys in the area so he can pick and choose his jobs after playing golf and bar-hopping. Yeah, I know, doesn't sound promising, but he came highly and reliably recommended and if he's that good that he can do what he wants when he wants and everyone wants him, then I don't have any complaints.

Neither does my wall. No more leaks! And he guaranteed his work. And he was reasonably priced. He did say the local squirrels snacking on my lead are eligible for mental disability coverage. Well, at least the ones not run over by cars.

And he let me know my chimney is NOT lined and advised me NEVER to use a woodstove. Makes me wonder how my home's previous owners avoided burning the house down around them because there was a woodstove hooked up when I purchased it. It's still in the basement, full of ashes, just no longer hooked up to the chimney.

He put a top hat on the top of my chimney to keep critters, debris, and rain out of it. Apparently I didn't have one of those either. Go figure, I've had this house since '99. He was concerned about "wicking" which leads to wearing and leaking of the chimney inside - brickwise but as the Universe looks after fools and drunks, I don't have any evidence of that.

One more repair down. Several more to go... but not right now, or soon, or even in a while. I need to percolate some more.

No comments: