Sunday, August 23, 2009

Can You Say "M-F'in H.O.T"?

I knew that you could.

The past week and this weekend have been like living in someone's mouth.

If we lived in a big city, I'm sure it would be like living in someone's armpit.

Hot. Humid. Even at night. No relief.

I'm trying to stick it out and not break down and put my air conditioner in, but the fans are just about not cutting it.

It cooled down two degrees with a mild breeze on Tuesday so I sucked it up and mowed my lawn which was out of control. 3 weeks plus some days was almost too long to wait.

Saturday I dogsat. Riley and I had one fiercely hot walk. I told him we were going to walk slow and he listened. I also told him I was not going to run amok in the back yard and he accepted that. Basically all he wanted was for me to give him the frozen peanut butter filled Kong and skedaddle while he wallowed in front of the air conditioner at my parents' house. The life of Riley.

I went to my friend J2's baby shower today. Talk about a roomful of women and no air conditioning, just two fans pushing warm air around. I got to be the "present scribe" and the present list was sticking to my hands and wrists. Talk about UGH!

My car has air. My office has air. Some of the homes I visit have air. Stores have air. So I'm managing. Just barely (barely being an operative word).

On a positive note, my hair has been incredible - lots of body and curls with very little effort. Looks good with my summer tan.

A little TMI - I've started putting deodorant in places other than under my arms.

I've also discovered putting rubbing alcohol on cotton "rounds" (basically smushed flat cotton balls that are somewhat quilted) and swabbing my face before I go to bed to remove the schweaty film on my skin. I know, should be immensely drying and would never attempt to do this in the fall or winter, but with the humidity what's to dry out?

I've been working with different fan configurations in the bedroom and last night I think I've stumbled on a good set up. Last night I actually got cold towards dawn! We'll have to see about tonight because it's raining and I can't have the windows open like I did last night.

Yes, it finally started raining today about 5pm. Heavy at times. Which is good on one hand because then I don't have to water what little garden I have or the hydrangea bush but on the other hand, I don't think it's going to break the humidity cycle.

Well, my fingers are sticking to the keys and my wrists to the table. There's two fans with my name on them in my bedroom. Time to read and cool off.

Maybe.

No comments: