Friday, March 30, 2007

The Vet Recommends...

that I have Moomin on wet food for the rest of his natural born life. I just finished a 20 minute phone call with her. It was this long because I wanted her to EXPLAIN this recommendation to me in full detail, coz I'm high maintenance and all but also a bit of a budget-minded girl and special cat food is expensive and if I don't have to, I won't.

Upshot is that "statistically speaking", male cats who have this bladder/urinary tract episode when they are young, will have this issue for the rest of their lives and "statistically" wet food has been shown to be effective in preventing it from cropping up again.

So this means Moomin has now become high maintenance himself.

1 comment:

Carolina Cats said...

Hi,

I happened upon your blog from somewhere..probably link upon link of kitty blogs! Anyway, I noticed your posts about Moomin's urinary issues and wanted to mention a few things because it sounds like he may have the same thing Buddy's got, which is Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). Buddy's is ideopathic, they can't specifically say that it's caused by anything like an infection. Generally, it seems to be stress-induced. I know, stress? A cat? But it turns out that stress for him is like the time last year when our neighbor smelled gas in her townhouse and called the fire dept. who came to the 'hood with sirens a-blazing and pounded on our door, ordering us to get out immediately. A week later, there was poor Buddy, straining to pee every five minutes. He has been on amitriptyline to calm him down, but the challenge of actually taking the pill every day was more stressful for him than the occasional stress, in my humble opinion. So I'm very aware of what might stress him out and keep an eye on his litter-box visits around that time, if he does get into trouble, we take a quick trip to the vet, where they make sure he's not blocked, and we do a couple of days of amitriptyline to mellow him out. I add extra water to his wet food at night to make sure he gets lots of water, plus he likes to drink so that helps. He wouldn't eat the special food - so I switched back to 9 Lives at night and free feed Purina One regular during the day. There is a FLUTD group on Yahoo that you can join that is very helpful. Also, if you go to the feline diabetes board - www.felinediabetes.com and look for the link to "Janet & Binky's food tables", you'll find a great resource on many different kinds of food, both dry and wet, that may have the nutritional requirements that Moomin needs.

Best of luck!

Nora (mom to Finny & Buddy)