Friday, March 23, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

Happiness is an ephemeral and fleeting objective. People who think they can “find” happiness and have it last a long time are sadly mistaken.

Happiness is a blend of contentment, peace, security, joy, and harmony. Each component of happiness can last for extended periods of time, but having them simultaneously blended together, that’s fleeting. By fleeting, I mean it’s not going to last for days, weeks, months, or years on end.

True pure happiness is when all’s right in the world at that particular moment in your life and that doesn’t happen often.

It’s easy to recognize but hard to keep. Cherish those moments when they happen.

One of my happy times happened yesterday. I went to my parents’ house to visit with the new puppy (to see pics, go to Wednesday’s Child) and my dad. I was happy; spending time with my dad and seeing his joy at having a puppy, the puppy responding to early training and clearly “getting it”, the weather was balmy and beautiful, and no worries intruded. It wasn’t earthshaking, but quiet, almost mundane, and I was happy.

Of course, the Universe had to balance me out and have me experience supreme unhappiness later yesterday night during “Grey’s Anatomy”, because now my kittencat is sick. And I’m worried and strung out from lack of sleep and trying really hard things to keep things in perspective.

The constant news articles, self-help books, TV programs, and “happily ever after” movies promote an illusion and a fallacy that you can plan for and obtain happiness and this causes much stress and angst for people "chasing the rainbow" of happiness. And you know what happens when you chase a rainbow, it keeps moving away from you or it disappears.

Happiness just falls into and out of place.

Being happy just happens.

1 comment:

Happiness said...

No matter what happens to us, we can still choose our moods and attitudes. We can decide to define ourselves.

The alternative is to let circumstances around us determine how we think and feel.

Michele Moore - author of
How To Live A Happy Life -
101 Ways To Be Happier
www.HappinessHabit.com