Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Time for a Little Reality TeleVENTing

I have been watching Rockstar Supernova. Not in it’s entirety. I generally watch the beginning of the performances and if they are good I will finish watching them, but if they suck I have to change the channel. I have no patience for poor performances and there is usually something else on to switch to for a short time.

My favorite is Dilana. I listen to heavy metal (not speed, death, mega, or dissonant metal) and her voice kicks ass because it matches the “dirty” musical sound Tommy Lee wants. All the others are not gritty enough and their vocals are *bad* or too clean.

Yesterday, I thought (and this is only MY opinion, I am not a musical genius by any means but I know what sounds good) everyone’s performance, vocals, and song choices SUCKED. Yes, even Dilana. Cranberries? Come on!!! The singer and songs for the Cranberries are incredibly annoying already, but with Dilana’s voice – so mismatched I had to change the channel on her. And the band’s positive comments? Were they really listening to these people yesterday? I winced at all of the performances and was constantly having to channel surf.

The men on this show are truly pathetic. I don’t see any of them as a heavy metal singer. Now, Type O Negative’s Peter Steele – that’s a lead singer. Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor – that’s a lead singer. Ugly Kid Joe, Warrant (Uncle Tom’s Cabin – song rocks), David Coverdale, Rob Zombie, Lita Ford, Ozzy, Sebastian Bach, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Steven Tyler, Kid Rock, - there is more, I just can’t think of them all right now - these are all examples of original sounding voices that are “heavy”. None of the men on Rockstar are “heavy”, none. They don’t have that rawness that raises goosebumps and they can’t move around a stage to save their lives.

The girls aren’t much better, but Storm and Dilana stand out. My mom said Tommy and the band have already said they weren’t going to pick a girl. Too bad, coz all the men stink. And most of the women...


(A little wintery Calvin and Hobbes humor to relieve the hot weather...)

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Exactamundo. You are correct on every point. What was going on with Zayra? (And how is her name pronouced Zieta?) And could you even believe they liked it? Most of those men fit much more into the alternative genre. I think they will pick a woman and I think it would be a smart marketing choice. Not that I'll be purchasing the album.

Joanne S said...

Why couldn't they send all three home and get moving???? No one can stay in tune. and these songs. Geez.