Sunday, August 03, 2008

Heavy Rain, Possums, Fog, and Frogs Oh My!

I went to a dog party yesterday evening at my friend J2's. She was celebrating having two greyhounds, so it technically wasn't a birthday party but more of a celebration of their adoptions.

J2 made homemade dog cake, dog treats, and had an array of other healthy dog foods on the table so guests could treat their dogs. She was worried humans would try to eat the dog food so she had all these little bone labels to help clueless humans look before they put anything in their mouths. The humans had their own table with hamburger fixings and salads, lots of salads.

Frisky and Lizzie (her two greyhounds) were completely spoiled and learned very fast to hover by the fence anytime anyone walked by because they might have treats and they usually did. While the humans had pie and ice-cream, all the dogs had doggie sundaes. It was so cute to see the dogs jamming their noses down into the cups to get the treat wedged in the bottom after all the ice-cream was gone.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people who said they were coming, didn't show due to the cloudy cold clammy weather (it didn't rain until it got dark). There were only about 12 people + one dog out of 70 invited. J2 made me up a big plate of goodies for my parents' dog who was supposed to go but was out gallivanting with my parents instead. It's probably best he didn't go, I stayed way past his bedtime.

J2 and I spent some time playing Wii. This game we tried called "Defend Your Castle" was strangely addictive. It was high tech disguised with low tech graphics. The defenders (us) were plastic bread tabs, the enemies were stick people, battering rams were popsicle sticks, the clouds went by on strings, and the Pit of Conversion was a paint can. Don't ask, we never did figure out how to use the Pit of Conversion although we bought one.We also bought an archery tower which we couldn't figure out how to use. We used the bread tabs to pick up the stick figures so they didn't beat on our castle which made us lose health points (as shown in burberry and plaid, if you had too much plaid, you were getting unhealthy and soon the game would be over). I discovered if you picked the stick people up and FLUNG them off the top of the screen, when they finally landed you got more points for being more... vicious? They made this excellent splat sound regardless. Towards the end, the wheels of red plastic caps (for cap guns) would explode into a festive rainbow it you hit them just right, taking many enemies with them as well.

When I finally decided I had to go, the rain was pouring down in buckets, with no sign of slowing down. I made a mad dash for my car, soaked my jeans, filled my sandals, and had water in my hood. I got in and realized this would be my first night drive in the new car.

What an adventure! Heavy rain in the dark makes it difficult to see the stripes on the road which have either not yet been re-painted or have been indifferently painted with cheap paint that disappears whenever the road gets the slightest bit wet.

Not to mention the real-life Frogger game! The whole way home I was trying to avoid the little buggers trying to cross the road. I saw plenty who didn't make it, gross. What possesses them to cross the road in the dead of night in pouring rain is beyond me.

And then, coming carefully around a turn, coz it was also getting foggy as well, a possum ambles across the road, sees my headlights, and puts on a bit more speed.

I was glad to make it home in one piece! With dry dog treats for Riley.

My kittos were happy to see me as well, they wanted their very belated dinner!

No comments: