Monday, August 04, 2008

Third Book's A Charm

I started reading a book Saturday morning that I bought several months ago. I got to the bottom of page 22 and went up to what I thought was page 23.

At first I couldn't figure out why the paragraph I was reading didn't make sense. After going back to the bottom of page 22 and to the top of the next page several times, it hit me that there wasn't anything wrong with me, but there was with the book. I checked the page numbers and found they numbered 22 and skipped to page 55. An entire section missing. That's why my paragraph didn't make sense. I flipped ahead to see if 23-54 were somewhere else in the book, it happens sometimes, a printing mix-up.

No go. Just pages 55-75 repeated twice.

So I went to Borders to swap which they were nice enough to do, after all it had their sticker on it.

Sunday night, I'm reading in bed before going to sleep. I get to page 342 and the same damn thing happens. I discover the book jumps from page 342 to 372. A section completely missing again, what are the chances of that? I fumed for a really short time, there was nothing for me to do as I was PJed, in bed, and it was 11pm. I started a new book.

Today after work, I went to Borders again with my second defective book. I suggested to the DooBee that he bring them all to the counter because this did not seem to be an isolated incident. Sure enough, I found another with the same pages missing as Book#2.

I did manage to find a complete edition and the DooBee said he was going to go thru them all to see if there were any more defective books.

As an aside, I just about got the Dump Guy put in the hospital. I arranged to have him come to take my 2-3 year brush pile, 4 rail road ties, 2 rooms of carpet, and a broken up walkway of asphalt. Apparently when he lifted the first layer of the rolled-up carpeting, a swarm of yellow jackets occurred. He had some Raid and he didn't get stung, but he'll have to come back when the weather is cold to pick up the rest of the carpet. I felt bad but he said it was a typical hazard of the job. So I'm left with carpeting that's become the Section 8 housing of wasps. I may experiment and spray them, but chances are I'll just wait them out til the brisk snappy cold days of Fall and then have them carted off once they are "sleeping". Oh, and the Dump Guy was a hottiepants.

No comments: