Thursday, January 17, 2008

It's A Miracle!

I've always wondered how I would react if a miracle happened to me.

Well, now I know. Oblivious and slightly cranky.

My vision is bad, almost legally blind in one eye and the other eye has an astigmatism that is not able to be completely corrected with contact lenses so it's vision is always slightly fuzzy and less than 20/20. This means the blind eye has to carry the burden of me seeing clear... I know what you're thinking and yeah, that's what I said to my eye doctor. And yes I'm safe to drive.

Back to the miracle.

I woke up this morning with a faint feeling of unease and like I had a random cat hair floating around in my eye socket. Not painful, just that something was slightly wrong. I greeted the cats and spent most of my time waking up and feeding them, trying unsuccessfully to remove the imaginary cat hair. I even attempted to take pictures of birds feeding at my feeders and saw a flock of cardinals (20 or so) flying in the sky in the direction of the sunrise. It was an amazing sight and I never even questioned it.

The actual impact of the miracle did not hit me until I finished making my lunch and was headed back to the bathroom to shower. Not being fully awake, it never even registered that...

I could see. I could SEE!!! NO squinting (like I'm doing now typing this with my nose glued to the monitor), no straining, no fuzziness, nothing but I could actually see things.

Then I realized I had forgotten to take my contacts out last night and that is why I experienced the miracle of sight this morning.

And the slight feeling of unease and crankiness and like something was wrong.

How ungrateful am I?

Now I have to spend all day in my glasses as penance for not fully appreciating the miracle that is nice vision.

Boohoo.

No comments: