Monday, December 17, 2007

Operation Candy Making Complete

I created this Christmas tradition about 4 years ago, when I started my current job. I have a bunch of supportive co-workers who have partaken in various culinary experiments of mine. They raved so much about these candies, that I decided to make them every year in lieu of trying to buy individual gifts. This way everyone gets what they want and no one has to secretly envy another. Besides, I like making them and trying new flavors out on them. This year's new flavors are Lemon and Orange-Pineapple. I really wish my hands hadn't been so very messy because I would have liked to have been able to take snaps of the sheer magnitude of candy I had in my kitchen Saturday night. I had trays and trays over every flat surface. I had to use my garage as a refrigerator coz they wouldn't fit inside the house. You'll have to make do with the pic below.



These are the two boxes that I'm thinking of bringing to the office potluck on Friday.



This pic didn't come out so good, not enough light. So here are the flavors and colors of the little flowers by row. The color of the flowers lets people know what flavor they are before they bite into them coz not everyone likes to be surprised. Yes, I made a color coded key out of stamps coz I'm a bit of a neatnik perfectionist and I'd like a key! Just sayin'.

Row 1: Orange flowers = Orange-Pineapple (Wal-Mart o-p cream sandwich cookies)
Row 2: Sprinkles = Peanut Butter (Nutter Butters)
Row 3: Pink = Chocolate Chip (Chips Ahoy)
Row 4: Blue = Oreo (nuff said)
Row 5: Green = Mint (Grasshoppers)
Row 6: White = Pecan Sandies
Row 7: Yellow = Lemon (I think they were Archway brand - sort of resembled Nilla Wafers)

I spent all of Friday night crushing the cookies and mixing them with cream cheese. I COMPLETELY forgot about using my Cuisinart. DUH! Chilled over night.

Then all day Saturday was cut them into cubes, dip them into melted chocolate, let them harden, and divy them up into tins, bags, and boxes. I have 18 people to give to this year.

I brought the co-workers' tins in today. R, newbie (wasn't here last Xmas), bit into one and said,

"NOW I know what people are talking about when they mention your candy in that certain way!" as her eyes glazed over.

Mission accomplished!

No comments: