Monday, January 02, 2012

High On Book Crack!

And do I mean BOOK CRACK!

I went to my favorite local used book store today. Wandered around, found a few books, no big deal, but my book radar was still pinging like mad so I was confused as to why I wasn't finding anything. I woke up this morning with the very strong urge to go and it wasn't panning out which is strange because my book feelings are always on target.

The owner swung around the corner and let me know he'd recently been to a home of an 80 yr old man with the beginnings of senile dementia who's now living in nursing home and some lawyer-y executive-type hired by the family came in and took all the hardback books (mostly first editions/signed = lots of moolah for the family) and left all the paperbacks which the owner bought.

Paperbacks from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

30+ boxes.

My time zone and categories of interest: science fiction and mysteries!

OH MY GOD - I was there from 10am to 3pm going through the 15 or so boxes the owner had brought to the store.

I found some absolutely fabulous finds (looking at you Solar Pons/Basil Copper), things I'd been looking for for years (SF anthologies edited by Judith Merrill), many things I didn't even know I was looking for (mysteries by romance authors), and just random awesome books (medical mysteries, ooh).

I left there with the smell of books up my nose, the taste of books in my mouth, and box of books in my arms. No better feeling in the world to a book lover like me.

Mom, thanks for the Santa Cash, could not have been a better gift. I am so highly happy right now.

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Your welcome. Santa Cash should be spent on things we always wished we had gotten as a present.