Tuesday, January 12, 2010

And It Just Gets Better...

This morning I was out the door at 7:15 am. Don't ask, I have absolutely no idea how or why I was up and moving and ready as early as that.

I backed down the driveway simultaneously pressing the garage door opener/closer. Avoiding the garbage cans, I checked to make sure the garage door was shut like I always do lately coz a month ago the door magically went back up without me pressing anything. I noticed it was a foot and a half open.

Sitting at the end of the driveway, I pressed the button. Nothing. Pressed it again. Nothing. Pulled up closer to the garage.

Pressed the button.
Nothing.
Button.
Nothing.
Button.
Nothing.
Button.
Nothing.

I know what you are thinking, why did I just keep pressing the button? Why do you keep pressing the damn mouse button for the computer, why do you channel surf, why do you keep poking your tongue in that sore part of your mouth? Coz you think it will work/fix itself/get better...

To continue, I got out of the car and heard this great grinding growling noise coming from inside the garage. I tried lifting the door to see if I could get it to latch or catch or something. Nothing but the grinding which finally stopped and resumed a few seconds later.

By fighting with the door and the machine (which was incredibly scary), I finally I got the door open enough so I could go in the garage. I was trying to check things out though I had no idea what in the hell I was looking at or for. Nothing but grinding, which I eventually stopped by unplugging the machine, which may not have been all that smart of an idea but it did stop growling.

I did some dithering around on a ladder and whatnot, still having no damn clue what I was looking at or for, experimented with the release which only let me open the door halfway and no more, and finally manually closed the door, went to work, and called a garage door company I seem to vaguely remember my father using but I could totally be mis-remembering that, oh well, they're local. They said they'd send a DooBee (well, they didn't actually say that, just that they'd send someone) out to check on what's going on and call me.

When I got home, I tested the button. Nothing. So I got out of the car, opened the garage, found the machine still (so I thought) unplugged, plugged it back in, pressed the button while standing outside the garage, and listened to the grinding/growling noise. After the noise stopped, I unplugged the machine. Then checked about 5 times to make sure I could open and shut it manually. When I got inside the house, I had a message that the repairpeople had come to see what was wrong, seemed to have written the wrong # down for my work, it looks like I need some gear something something burble burble, and to call them tomorrow.

Which I will do. At some point during my crazy Wednesday schedule.

Golden sides of the coin: I got the car out of the garage safely this morning. I can manually open/shut it at this time. I was able to put the car away tonight which is supposed to be COLD.

I am sooooooo looking forward to tomorrow. I have an hour's drive ahead of me first thing in the morning and an hour back. Plenty of time for "something" to happen.

Please don't. I'm running out of golden sides of coins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your opening page is BEAUTIFUL!!! That pic of your cat is too cute for words!