Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pumpkin Artificial Insemination

Yep, you read right...

Mom started my giant pumpkin seed from scratch and when I got back from vaca the beginning of June, it was a massive green healthy seedling.

I made a mound of dirt, compost, and manure-y mulch and planted it in my back landscape garden.

And then it proceeded to rain, and rain, and rain, and rain, and rain, and oh, rain some goddamn more.

The vine has been growing S.L.O.W.L.Y. and small yellow and black striped bugs have been massively a-munching the leaves.

About 4 beginning pumpkins failed because the girlie flowers were not opening the same time as the boy flowers - so no naturally occurring pumpkin-sex.

Monday before work, I noticed a female flower in open bloom and one lone male flower open and ready to go... but not a busy bee or bug to be seen. I took matchmaking matters in my own hands and proceeded to administer artificial insemination.

Meaning I picked the male flower, bent back the petals, and swirled the male flower parts around inside the female flower.

Today the fruit of my labors is swelling. Houston, we have a giant pumpkin a-growin'. Halleluyah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, how does one tell the difference between the male and female flowers.....uhhhmmm, maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know the difference.