Friday, November 06, 2009

Reboot the Ole Poop Chute


Turns out Moomin doesn't have a bladder infection, he's got the big D! Yep, he's got a bad case of diarrhea.

The vet had shot him full of SubQ fluids (subcutaneous fluids to those of us who had to ask) and I gave him a double helping of water for dinner and bedtime snack. So he was chock full of liquids.

I put him in the spare room with the sprinkling of non-absorbent pellets in an old litter box and water and our evening TV watching blanket. When it came time to let him out of the room yesterday morning, I saw that he did the big D once in the box and twice outside of it and those little black pellets were all over the place.

I was half right... and am still amazed he didn't pee at all. Believe me, I've gone over the room with a fine tooth flashlight and nose and there's no sign of pee. Super bright shiny side of the coin is that I just had to clean up poop which is easy and has no special long lasting smell remnants instead of cat urine which would have ruined my hardwood floors.

He held all those fluids all damn night. I followed him to the closet litter boxes and managed to catch an awesome pee sample. He let me slide that bowl right under him and he whizzed away, for quite some time.

I took the pee sample to the vet along with a fresh big D. They tested both, urine fine and poop is free of parasites. I'd already started the fasting regimen the vet suggested. Fasting for a cat is not having food for 24 hours which means they empty out their internal septic tank coz there's nothing coming in and the thought is as they empty the pooper, whatever is causing the big D comes out too. And hopefully, the next day the poop chute has been rebooted.

So Moo, along with Doo and Hobber (who had to join the miserableness coz it's not fair to eat in front of your fasting comrade) had no breakfast, dinner, or bedtime snack yesterday. They were all VERY happy to have breakfast this morning.

Apparently, things are on track now... yeah for me and my weekend!

1 comment:

Joanna Stein said...

I hope all of you have a great weekend!