Monday, October 29, 2007

Thanks to Verizon McHottiePants...

I am now up and running on the Internet at home. It's been a Murphy's Law filled experience. I get my package right away and "Easy as 1-2-3", my ass. I did everything the CD said to do, not once, not twice, but 4 times and then the CD told me I needed to call for assistance, which I did, which involved an hour long phone trip, on a connection that only let me hear every third word, to India, to be put on hold many times by "Sherwin" (who picks that as their "typical American" name?), to learn that a Verizon tech cannot be pinned down to a certain time to come out and check that my phone lines are DSL compatible and there is a slight, "slight" possibility that my computer may not be able to support DSL.

I have to give "kudos" to the Verizon guy that managed to come out after work Friday and help me thru the dreck, let me know exactly what my computer needed to be dragged kicking and screamingly up-to-date (an Ethernet card which is apparently the "super highway for computers to access the Internet where the USB is the backroads with many offshoots"), and arranged to come back today to insert said Ethernet card and get my computer all booted up and Internet ready. WHEEE!

Now my next adventure is to change from the $19.99 offer to the $14.99 that is only offered via the Internet. The reason for the pricing difference? Get this... It's because I spoke with a real person who signed me up. Apparently even tho I only talked to the signer-upper once, I get punished for wanting to do business with a real person. I think the voice recognition program also registers stress because I got connected to a "representative" quite quickly once I got majorly irritated.

But it's done and I'm aboard again...

Now I just need a mouse with a scrolly thing.

2 comments:

Joanne S said...

Now you need to change the comments thingy so you get comments directly to your email.

Welcome back!

Deborah Boschert said...

Hey, you're back! I'm happy to "see" you.