Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sam's SuperEasy Summer Salad

Super cold, super crisp, and super easy to make. What more can you ask for a summer dish?

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg of cherry tomatoes (I use the Santa Sweets, you can use yours from the garden if you have one)
  • 2 cucumbers (med)
  • 1 can of black olives
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 1/2 yellow pepper
  • 1/2 orange pepper
  • Rice noodles cooked how you like and however many you want and however fat you want them
  • Dressing - I'm experimenting so you'll have to fill in the blank here for your preference
Chop up peppers to the size bites you like.
Chop up cukes into whatever bitesize you like.
Dump tomatoes and olives in bowl with pprs and cukes.
Mix with hands.
Add cooked rice noodles, mix with hands again.
Or if you are sensory-defensive, mix with kitchen implement of choice.
Add dressing to the amount to "just" cover the veggies. Add more if you are dressing fiend.

So far I've tried a Tuscany Italian Dressing, a FatFree Balsamic Vinaigrette, and a Vidalia Onion Dressing (actually mixed the last two together as well). I haven't found quite what I'm looking for but the Balsamic Vinaigrette is close. Just close. I'll know it when I taste it tho it may mean some more close but no cigars. Oh well, at least it makes my work lunches easy to make coz the big bowl lasts a almost a whole week.

FYI, if you want to double the salad, use the whole pprs and add another pkg of cherry tomatoes, two more cukes, and another can of olives and Viola - two big ass bowls of salad!

1 comment:

Joanne S said...

Decide to leave a comment here because getting comments is pretty darned exciting-- like someone other than you is reading this stuff.

Was this salad originally made with dry ramen noodles?

I am making a salad of cukes, onion, tomatoes with olive oil and lemon juice. Supposed to add parsley and mint. I haven't actually gone out to the garden to get the parsley and mint. I like the idea of the olives. I add fresh mozzarella to mine. The balsamic vinegar is a touch too sweet.

How about a real vinaigrette with mustard, olive oil, lemon juice. Punchy. Or the Ginger one you used to like.